Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2007, 04:43 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, but red,... everyone will be envious of you by the time you get yours set up! hahaha

---
10 Gallon Hexagon
Hagen AquaClear 30, Visi-Therm Deluxe 50, DIY CF 20W 6500K CF, Hagen Natural CO2 System :: Bloodfin Tetra (1), Red-eye Tetra (3), Black Skirt Tetra (3), Harlequin Rasbora (6), Platy (1), Otocinclus Catfish (1) :: Rotala Indica, Hygrophila Difformis (Wisteria), Cabomba Carolinia
---
tropicalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 12:07 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have to admit, I'm just astounded by the fact that you even thought of this, not to mention the recycle/freecycle you're doing with almost every part of it. I can't wait to see more pictures!

Old 01-28-2007, 05:47 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks great.

theotheragentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:59 AM   #64
Aquarium Advice Freak

Any plans for a matching step stool? It looks like it will end up rather tall once it's complete. Of course, I'm only 5'8" so everything looks tall from my vantage point.

Beautiful cabinet work and a very imaginative idea that is, simply put, Awesome!

If I get my DIY stand and hood to look a tenth as good as yours, I will be very happy!

Regards,
Ketso
Old 01-30-2007, 10:35 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Freak

oooooooooooo....a step ladder with an alder frame and corian treads...lmao

actually its not that bad....i planned on around 60" from the start... the stand is 33" tall(vanity height)...the tanks at 20", and the canopy at 6"...the canopy lifts off easy for set-up and heavy maintainance.

55 gal QT/Breeder/Experiment
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=91209
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=95417
redswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:52 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Freak

Re: I'm building a "Corian" tank - 1/27/07 update

Quote:
Originally Posted by redswi
I like to challenge myself with every new project, so with this one I will be pushing for good looking,top quality,easy to maintian,healthy enviorment,and oh yeah "I'm cheap.
While this one is definately on it's way to becoming a master piece, it's not too early to start thinking about the next project is it?

I have an idea that I could never build. For 3 reasons. Skill, money, and the proper tools. None of which I have. I thought of this several years ago actually (long before ever thinking of getting an aquarium). Building a setup that, when you needed to do maintenance, you could use a remote and lower the tank into the base. Like they do with some TVs. Just not sure they make one of those lifts that I would trust to lower/lift a tank weighing a few hundred pounds.

Got ya thinking now. Don't I?
Old 01-30-2007, 11:35 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Freak

The final piece for this project will be the wet / dry that I'll start this weekend...this is a cross between a megaflow and a seaclear system II...made of corian, and assembled in a knock down fashion for easy cleaning....

other than overflows and co2 reactors the only aquatic related thing I can think of building now is a canister filter....after working with the corian I think I can easily copy a fluval multi stage filter...

Unfortunately i have reached the point where I actually have to spend money...the corian, and mdf where scrap, and the glass was the top from an old coffee table....I have a running tab at the shop for the solids and hardware that I've used....other than that I only spent 14 dollars for some silicone....I need to get some pvc,pumps,heaters ect.for this project , and the 55 that I got 2 weeks ago....I'll probably do that this weekend...I need to get these up and running, there is a species auction coming up and I'm hoping to get some plants and maybe some fish...

As far as a tank lift...it could be done with a hydraulic scissor lift, but I donut see much help there.

I'm always thinking...LOL

Old 01-31-2007, 12:53 AM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

Man, more projects! I love watching coordinated people build things.

theotheragentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Freak

week 9 update

Brought the stand home today...it fit better in my head... LOL...I'm happy with it, but don't really care for the counter dying into the tank...
pay no attention to the messy counter....

I cut, and machined the pieces for the filter...brought that home too...will probably glue that up tomorrow...now I'm off to the pet shop and the depot...need a couple pumps, goodies, and lots of plumping and electrical fittings...need to get the 55 filtered also

Old 02-03-2007, 03:37 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Freak

Man that looks good. Even though I agree with your "counter" comment, it's still awesome. Cant move it to the next corner over?

Anyway, Great job!

55 gallon Planted - Tank Log
DIY Hood 96w 6500K
Rena Filstar Xp3
Ketso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com