"Corian" tank - 2/24/07 (Finished)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, but red,... everyone will be envious of you by the time you get yours set up! hahaha :D

I have to admit, I'm just astounded by the fact that you even thought of this, not to mention the recycle/freecycle you're doing with almost every part of it. I can't wait to see more pictures!

Any plans for a matching step stool? It looks like it will end up rather tall once it's complete. Of course, I'm only 5'8" so everything looks tall from my vantage point. :lol:

Beautiful cabinet work and a very imaginative idea that is, simply put, Awesome!

If I get my DIY stand and hood to look a tenth as good as yours, I will be very happy!

Regards,
Ketso

oooooooooooo....a step ladder with an alder frame and corian treads...lmao

actually its not that bad....i planned on around 60" from the start... the stand is 33" tall(vanity height)...the tanks at 20", and the canopy at 6"...the canopy lifts off easy for set-up and heavy maintainance.

Re: I'm building a "Corian" tank - 1/27/07 update

redswi said:
I like to challenge myself with every new project, so with this one I will be pushing for good looking,top quality,easy to maintian,healthy enviorment,and oh yeah "I'm cheap.
While this one is definately on it's way to becoming a master piece, it's not too early to start thinking about the next project is it?

I have an idea that I could never build. For 3 reasons. Skill, money, and the proper tools. None of which I have. I thought of this several years ago actually (long before ever thinking of getting an aquarium). Building a setup that, when you needed to do maintenance, you could use a remote and lower the tank into the base. Like they do with some TVs. Just not sure they make one of those lifts that I would trust to lower/lift a tank weighing a few hundred pounds.

Got ya thinking now. Don't I? :lol:

The final piece for this project will be the wet / dry that I'll start this weekend...this is a cross between a megaflow and a seaclear system II...made of corian, and assembled in a knock down fashion for easy cleaning....

other than overflows and co2 reactors the only aquatic related thing I can think of building now is a canister filter....after working with the corian I think I can easily copy a fluval multi stage filter...

Unfortunately i have reached the point where I actually have to spend money...the corian, and mdf where scrap, and the glass was the top from an old coffee table....I have a running tab at the shop for the solids and hardware that I've used....other than that I only spent 14 dollars for some silicone....I need to get some pvc,pumps,heaters ect.for this project , and the 55 that I got 2 weeks ago....I'll probably do that this weekend...I need to get these up and running, there is a species auction coming up and I'm hoping to get some plants and maybe some fish...

As far as a tank lift...it could be done with a hydraulic scissor lift, but I donut see much help there.

I'm always thinking...LOL

week 9 update

Brought the stand home today...it fit better in my head... LOL...I'm happy with it, but don't really care for the counter dying into the tank...
img_768947_0_bd1318776d0283a789cedc6607dfa393.jpg
pay no attention to the messy counter....
img_768947_1_c649e0ae139359d5b860c2e56b2cfce0.jpg

I cut, and machined the pieces for the filter...brought that home too...will probably glue that up tomorrow...now I'm off to the pet shop and the depot...need a couple pumps, goodies, and lots of plumping and electrical fittings...need to get the 55 filtered also

Man that looks good. Even though I agree with your "counter" comment, it's still awesome. Cant move it to the next corner over?

Anyway, Great job!

WOW...I just found this thread and that is one awesome idea!!!! I can't wait to see more pics of this tank! I'm with plecoperson!! That is SOOOOOO cool!!!!

Looking good, looking good. The Hubs is following this one closely...hope he gets a bright idea or two. Lol!

So I go out saturday to get all the goodies to finish the project...have a list of petshops (7 within a 40 mile radius), shopping list, a full tank of gas, and my girls to assist...I'm excited, the tank is home, I can see you has what for my stock list ,and I'm ready to finish.....WRONG...

Shop #1(the closest at 20 miles) has a good selection of equipment, except for pumps (the smallest was an ocean runner @ 900gph, way too big)...looking at the fish I notice a tank full of SEA's, gorging on their fallen friends...told them to clean their tanks as we left the store...

Store #2 has no equipment what so ever, but had an excellent selection of healthy looking fish both fresh and salt... will go back when I'm ready for stock.

Store # 3 out of business.

Store #4 felt like noahs ark in a shoebox...limited selection of overpriced equipment...no pumps...crowded tanks...feeders looked the healthiest.

Store #5 Petco... smelt like a freshly clean swimming pool (seriously,,,burned my nose)...decor beat out equipment 10 to 1...again, no pumps...lots of tanks but hardly any fish.

Store #6 limited equipment...no pumps....daughter says "OMG look at these"...polka dot platies...we just leave.

Store #7 Petsmart...been there before...actually my best bet....good selection of equipment, but of course, no pumps....fish look good...kid talks like he has at least read a book about fish...we leave with a new air pump some air fittings and a test kit...not a total loss.

We continue on to Wallyworld, Menards and Home Depot...get the PVC,and Electrical fittings we need....even looked for a sump, or pond pump...still no luck...

so here we sit I had to order the parts we need to finish...wont see that for another week...I want to test everything out on the 55 before I commit them to the Corian, but Iv'e built all that I can without the pumps...I'm stalled, and getting restless...not to mention a little depressed about whats available locally (if you consider 40 mile locally....LOL)

i have bought my pumps for my pond at Harbor Freight because they were there, and also ridiculously cheap... :)

i totally agree about pet stores and lack of selection. it really cheeses me off that they expect me to pay 40 bucks for an underpowered power filter, and when you go back a year later to but an impeller for it, they dont have it, cant order it, and if they could get it, it would cost you 27 bucks!! SHEEESH.

i am stalled on my canopy currently because i am too cheap to pay retail for 6400k bulbs. I keep thinking i will find a deal somewhere and i am holding off...:)

as for fish, i just like the oddball fish you never really see anymore. Ropefish, African Butterfly fish, Banjo Cat's... :) i'd rather fill my tank with feeder guppies than do platys or swordfish.... :)

good luck on your search for pumps~!

Redswi....Look at EBAY!! You will find exactly what you need and at a far better price! Consider yourself lucky that you have so many LFS to choose from in such a short distance. My cloeset LFS is about 35 miles away and the next closest is almost 50 and I live not too far from Washington DC. For an example I bought a Mag5 from LFS for WAY too much. 6 Months later I bought a Mag7 for half what I paid for the Mag5 on Ebay. Brand new in the box. I know it sucks having to wait for shipping and all but trust me save the money on the equipment and then go nuts with the live stock!!! I'm sure you stated it but what are you going to put in this tank??? SW FW Reef???

After saturday I can say we only have 2 local shops....I knew I could get the pumps cheaper online, but I was primed (pun intended)...I was also hoping to get the 55 set up sooner, I'm going to a species auction later this month , and don't know what I'll come home with...

Both tanks will be FW planted communities, with the 55 used more for experimenting

Back
Top Bottom