"Corian" tank - 2/24/07 (Finished)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't wait to see that thing planted and grown in... I am following this thread like my girl watches "Gray's Anatomy"...

"Yay" for Drs Foster and Smith...

They delivered my pumps this afternoon...I got 2-quiet one 1200s, 2-stealth 200w heaters an airpump and all kinds of goodies...Time to play...maybe now my luck will change...

Over the weekend I tried to do everything I could without the pumps, but everything I touched fell apart...1st- my perfect piece of driftwood turned to mush when I boiled it (it takes a big man to cry)...Then the food dehydrator baskets, that I was going to use in the test filter, cracked when I drilled them ( I quit before I ruined anything else)

Luckily I was able to build my overflow for the test tank...worked better than expected...I feel confident enough to put it in the corian tank without any changes....Also made a return line w/spraybar...It worked, but I had it set to low in the test tank and it created to much of a siphon...I had to shorten it some, and will change that when I make the final one for the corian tank...

Tonight I put together the test filter...It consists of a 18gal rubbermaid container and a square bucket w/ a divider, and lots of drain holes...water flows into the bucket,,, over filter floss placed on top of a drip plate,,,then drips over plastic scrubbies,,,,overflows the bottom of the bucket filling the sump , where it is heated and returned to the tank...I put a drain in the container so I empty it right into a floor drain in the basement...Turn off the pump ,,,let the container fill,,,drain,,,refill...fast 15gal water change...so far it is working well...had a time balancing the flows but it has passed the test...I can now build the corian filter and keep this project alive...Gonna be a busy weekend coming up...

The idea I had about using the siphon from the filter to use as a gravel vac doesn't work...maybe try again some other time but not now...

BTW I don't like to use credit cards online(or anytime really) so I called Drs Foster and Smith to ask about their online pricing...turns out that if you call ahead and tell them when your placing the order, they will hold the online price...I save about 36.00 off the catalog price with my order.

redswi said:
"Yay" for Drs Foster and Smith...

They delivered my pumps this afternoon...I got 2-quiet one 1200s, 2-stealth 200w heaters an airpump and all kinds of goodies...Time to play...maybe now my luck will change...

Over the weekend I tried to do everything I could without the pumps, but everything I touched fell apart...1st- my perfect piece of driftwood turned to mush when I boiled it (it takes a big man to cry)...Then the food dehydrator baskets, that I was going to use in the test filter, cracked when I drilled them ( I quit before I ruined anything else)

Luckily I was able to build my overflow for the test tank...worked better than expected...I feel confident enough to put it in the corian tank without any changes....Also made a return line w/spraybar...It worked, but I had it set to low in the test tank and it created to much of a siphon...I had to shorten it some, and will change that when I make the final one for the corian tank...

Tonight I put together the test filter...It consists of a 18gal rubbermaid container and a square bucket w/ a divider, and lots of drain holes...water flows into the bucket,,, over filter floss placed on top of a drip plate,,,then drips over plastic scrubbies,,,,overflows the bottom of the bucket filling the sump , where it is heated and returned to the tank...I put a drain in the container so I empty it right into a floor drain in the basement...Turn off the pump ,,,let the container fill,,,drain,,,refill...fast 15gal water change...so far it is working well...had a time balancing the flows but it has passed the test...I can now build the corian filter and keep this project alive...Gonna be a busy weekend coming up...

The idea I had about using the siphon from the filter to use as a gravel vac doesn't work...maybe try again some other time but not now...

BTW I don't like to use credit cards online(or anytime really) so I called Drs Foster and Smith to ask about their online pricing...turns out that if you call ahead and tell them when your placing the order, they will hold the online price...I save about 36.00 off the catalog price with my order.

Sounds cool. Can't wait to see video of the final product working.

As far as credit cards go, most credit card companies that allow you to check your account online will also allow you to create temporary numbers. Sometimes some credit card companies allow you to specify the amounts you want to allow after you get to the final checkout page with the total.

I didn't get as far as I thought I would during the week...Made some changes to the test filter, and had some trouble getting the flows to balance out....then I realized my electricity was a little overloaded so I ran a new line for this tank , and the 55 test tank in the basement...Now that everything is working I can drill the corian tank with confidence...I was used standard PVC M/F adapters w/ O rings instead of bulkhead fittings...
img_775486_0_8aecda92994f4dbbf3d53b21491092b8.jpg

installed...
img_775486_1_486cf86a9a5a94cb8e092e185098a4b7.jpg

split the sprybar across both backs...I only drilled an 1/8" hole for now...will adjust when filled...
img_775486_2_422d18cc9c74b63f74bd7ec44f1f8e97.jpg

installed the durso style standpipe, instead of the stockman like I originally planned...Installed an airline checkvalve, like I used on the test tank overflow, but may need to remove that in place of a vent...
img_775486_3_cb93f48529276d73ff174a9f2fcd2e46.jpg

scrubbed everything down, and installed the cover...
img_775486_4_4400f99e1a29f7b0eae40bb83c1be799.jpg

I also connected some shut off valves below..put the tank on the stand...leveled... filled with a little water to test the seals...now put together the filter...and add some subtrate...

WOW! You did an awesome job! 8O

Where are you located? I would like for you to do some work for me. :)

Cool! I'm an "Aquarium Advice Regular" now. <---- lol.

then I realized my electricity was a little overloaded so I ran a new line for this tank , and the 55 test tank in the basement...

OK, we're already pretty amazed over here at what you did with that tank, but you can run lines, too? Holy potatoes.

Looking great, by the way!

After making the test filter, and running it for a few weeks, I decided it was just to easy...So I'm ditching the corian filter for another plastic sump...It's light weight...easy to clean...adds more water volume... fits in the cabinet... and is CHEAP...I will make a filter using corian in the future but it will be more like a canister...

let's make a filter...
img_777781_0_aafe538f75987a5ee8d1f897aed0aee5.jpg

overview of all the pieces...

Sterlite file box for sump (holds 10 gallons plus)
3-Sterlite baskets
6-bags plastic scrubbies
filter floss
1-airstone / line
3/4 PVC adapters 1-male / 1-female
1-1/2 PVC female adapters
1-3/4 PVC T
2-3/4 PVC caps
1-3/4 PVC compression coupling
1-1/2 PVC compression coupling
24" 3/4 PVC
24" 1/2 PVC
1-1/2 PVC 45
1-200w stealth heater
1-quiet one 1200 pump
2-bic pens

img_777781_1_c87c549f5dc238d90c08d0b49c90b104.jpg

bottom basket has the airstone secured to the bottom with a suction cup...these scrubbies will be submerged...heater attached with suction cups fits perfectly along bottom side...

img_777781_2_c2f4c47caec4942cbf2d02a1129f9054.jpg

the baskets had little indents in the side, and the tube from the pens made perfect stand offs to keep them separated, I drilled hole in the bottoms of the top and center baskets so the water would drip down...the center holds more scrubbies, and will be above the waterline when running...the top basket hold filter floss...

img_777781_3_803c1aae182a4aeeecbe21f8c92ac491.jpg

I split the top so it would be easier to run the cords and return line...The spray bar is self explanatory....and sit atop the floss when closed...

a shot from inside...
img_777781_4_9f34231cf3df2190090f1bdbba3a2302.jpg

I thought I would add these tubes with the compression couplings, but now realize the won't work in the available space...I will change that tomorrow when I do the final hook up...
img_777781_5_98f8c94cd611ea5ae750ddd2ea253a04.jpg

As I found in the test filter the floss offers excellent mechanical filtration (the water in the 55 was crystal clear overnight)...I have enough media to give great bio-filtration (I cycle the test tank quickly without any major problem)...I can easily add chemical filtration ( I put a bag of peat in the test filter to bring down the PH)... and I can do a 25% water change just by shuting it off, draining, and refilling the sump...

That's genius. It looks great. I can't wait until it's all done and you ship it to me free of charge! :lol:

Thank You,

I'll add a shipping crate to the project list...LOL

You should add the costs of the materials for the wet/dry filter just in case someone here would also like to make one.
For example, add the cost of each piece then add the total cost. :)

Now I have to say, that is one of the most clever ways of putting together a trickle /wet/dry I have ever seen! Great job!!

I wanna be your friend! You are full of great ideas!

You should add the costs of the materials for the wet/dry filter just in case someone here would also like to make one.

Good idea I'll tally it up somtime theis weekend...just a quick guess, about 20.00 without the pump and heater

I wanna be your friend! You are full of great ideas!

Gotta warn ya "buddy ole pal" it even scares me sometimes...LOL

LOL....That's ok! My wife tells me I'm too full of it...oh wait...that's 2 different things isn't it....just kidding....I'm impressed with your work....!!

What are the pens for?

To right down the instructions ...LOL

I cut the tube from the pens to make the little support that holds the baskets apart...see 3rd pic

Thank You ziggy and everyone

Oh come ON. You have to be making this stuff up!

Oh, wait...that's exactly what you're doing. Yikes. You're scaring me.

That is SO COOL!!!!

I made some changes to the filter...hooked everything up, and filled the tank...it works... no leaks...I had put down a layer of shultz aquatic soil earlier in the week, and the water was real cloudy when we filled it...the water was clear by the time we finished dinner...Did a little landscaping...and WE ARE DONE....I will post the pics later tonight...

Here is a cost breakdown for the filter as per "leoslizards" sugestion

Sterlite file box for sump (holds 10 gallons plus) 7.99 wallmart
3-Sterlite baskets 5.91 wallmart
6-bags plastic scrubbies 6.00 dollar general
filter floss 3.50 lb local craft store
1-airstone / line est. 3'@ 1.50 7.50est. petsmart
3/4 PVC adapters 1-male / 1-female .65fleet farm
1-1/2 PVC female adapters .39 "
1-3/4 PVC T .39 "
2-3/4 PVC caps .38 "
1-3/4 PVC union 2.39 "
1-1/2 PVC union 1.79 "
24" 3/4 PVC .31 "
24" 1/2 PVC .24 "
2-3/4 PVC 90 .46 "
2-1/2 PVC 90 .38 "
Total 37.89

1-200w stealth heater 19.99 Drs F&S
1-quiet one 1200 pump 24.99 Drs F&S
2-bic pens free
Total 82.87

we where at a LSF yesterday and saw an "all-glass Mega flow wet/dry" for 238.00 for the small one...

pics and summary to come...
It's Later
I made some changes to the filter...Instead of hose and compression fittings to make the hook up I opted for PVC pipe,and unions...

img_778796_0_f5a4c54943f37ef5caebbb8a87dea829.jpg

A shot from inside...
img_778796_1_5186586eb72dd764613ed83f250ef4c0.jpg

The filter is working great...the water is clear, and it didn't take much to get the flows balanced....I removed 1/2 of the scrubbies, and 1/2 the floss from the test filter to place in the new one...cycle should be fast and smooth....

looking back I realized I never posted the lighting...
not much to post actually....I took 4 standard screw in sockets....wired them in series, and mounted them on stand-offs(made of corian of course)....I will use a screw in florescent with a mix of 13 and 23 watts giving me 1.8 watts per gallon...they are daylight bulbs at 5600k...
img_778796_2_4b53113b902356409d89ab73d26b6127.jpg

I tried to come up with a price tag for this project, but it has been hard to track...some material I had...some was free...and in the middle I was given the 55gal, which I set up and used to test...to date I have spent between 225.00 and 275.00, but that has given me 2 complete setups...

The finished tank...
img_778796_3_ff8119855a3edc493c2b613a9f689d22.jpg

The test tank...
img_778796_4_00ff4eefe18dbb9c225398db9eacf4ad.jpg

I'm going to close out this post with a big THANK YOU to everyone who has veiwed and commented on it...This project has been very satisfying, and your response much appreciated...I will move to the getting started forum and log my progress as the tank develops and matures...

Thanks again...I'm glad I found this place

I'm not sure...looking at the post now, and there all there

Back
Top Bottom