Cost effectiveness of DIY aquariums.. and other questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
If your building just a standard sized aquarium, like for instance, a mirror copy of a 120gallon standard aquarium..

Would it be more cost effective to simply buy that aquarium? Ir build it yourself?

Also, with DIY aquariums, how do you reinforce the glass? Commercial tanks have the plastic bands around the top and bottom, I was curious how this effect was acomplished in DIY tanks.

William,
From what i have read and priced out its more practical to just buy the tank. By the time you pay for all the glass to be cut, and buying just the glass itself is very expensive. If your able to cut the glass yourself it would be possibly a little cheaper. If you start building over 200 gallons is when i have found that its cheaper to make your own although alot more risk to it also. Such as leaks and seals not being properly put together. Your able to make a framing out of plywood, pretty much a plywood box with open sides and front and back. I have also heard of people taking 2x2's or something in that range of size and routering the inside so the glass fits inside. HTH

I think most DIY glass tanks are composed of a mixture of glass and wood as gooy described. Infact one of the most popular DIY plans for a home built aquarium on the net is for a tank that is mostly plywood with only the front viewing pane of glass installed.

One factor is the cost of tanks locally. There is no fixed cost of lets say a 120 gal aquairum across teh country. It might cost you $200 for a 120 gal tank and it might cost someone else $300 for the exact same tank simply because of local economics. Obviously if it costs you $300 then it could be more economical to DIY the tank out of wood and glass than maybe if it was available for $200.

I agree with FF its all depended on the location of prices for the tanks. Here where i live you can buy the tanks very resonable or shop around on locals and ebay. Shop till U drop.

The reason I ask, mostly, is because I can't find the large tank I'm looking for in the local classifieds or on local ebay.

and a local PetLand has a 120 gal tank/stand/hood/light for 500 bucks or so.

If I could build a larger tank and stand for that same price, or round abouts, would it just be worth it to DIY?

If you could build it for $500 you would be better off just buying theirs so your ensured about leaks etc...if your a DIY like myself and you like powertools :twisted: Go for it and see what happens, otherwise see how much just the tank would be without the stand etc if your making it SW the lights you get with it are pretty much worthless anyways for corals if thats your goal in the future.

The first 120+ gal takn I get will be freshwater, for my Bala's, CAE and Peacock Eel.

However, I DO want to get a saltwater tank, I just love the look of live rock and coral.

A plywood tank with a glass front is the most cost effective way to go. You can find plans for that on www.garf.org . Also, check the links section here on the site...there are some good DIY links in there as well. I saw a 300 gal plywood tank in NY a while back and it looked really nice.

I don't know, I've seen tanks like that to..

I've always liked all glass tho, or acrylic.

But I'll check into it. thanks:)

IMO, and I'm a DIY "cheaper is better" freak, too much can go wrong in building a tank--especially one that size. I would do what everyone else said--check your local classifieds, check ebay (although most people won't ship fishtanks, you may have to stay in your regional area), check online for places that sell tanks.

As for everything else...build it :D .

I have been cheacking ebay, 3 major newspapers from every corner of the state, and even ajoining stats, word of mouth, smoke signal, astrological readings, message burned into the moon with a giant laser..

Everything 8O :lol: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom