Counter Current protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
how much space do you have under the tank? do you have a sump? this skimmer stands about 29 inches and the biggest connections are 4 inches across. it's producing really nice dark skimmate now after some tweaking. and the cost was around $30-$40.

I made it out of 3 inch pvc but if you make it try for 4 inch. overall I'm very happy with how it's working

how much space do you have under the tank? do you have a sump? this skimmer stands about 29 inches and the biggest connections are 4 inches across. it's producing really nice dark skimmate now after some tweaking. and the cost was around $30-$40.

I made it out of 3 inch pvc but if you make it try for 4 inch. overall I'm very happy with how it's working

Under my 30 now I have ZERO space as there are 2 drawers.
Under the stand Im still building there is 18" of clearance for my canister filter and co2 tank to fit perfectly and still fit in the space I need and possibly build my low profile canopy/light.

Its just not in the stars for me with my setup.
Awesome job tho.

A shot of the skimmers workImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1444137285.155953.jpg

here I poured some of the nasty water in the cap to show how dark it is
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1444137342.962099.jpg

Meet the new and improved (I hope) 4" diameter counter current protein skimmer. I'm hoping the bigger body will help with skimmate production. I also modified the output so that instead of it draining out of the bottom of the skimmer it will now go back up and over the baffle to the next sump chamber in hopes of being more efficient because of my sump design.

I built this in my parents garage so when I get home I'll cut the return and install a ball valve when I can be sure of the height of my baffle. Then I'll have dual control of water in and out of the skimmer.

Edit: Just seconds after install! Hoping to have good results tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom