Cracked Bottom Trim piece on the corner......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaydog88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gal aquarium and the bottom trim piece is cracked on the corner. It's pulling away from the glass. Does this affect the stability of tank or is it just for looks... Should i order a new bottom trim piece or just leave it alone???

Well perhaps this piece could crack, causing the tank to tip over and split the side. Better safe than sorry I would think. Make sure you empty the tank water into a clean garbage can or something before you attempt to make any repairs.

The tank is empty already because i just bought it at a garage sale. The crack isn't bad enough to cause it to tip over i don't think, it's only maybe 2 inches long and is still solid everywhere else.......I changed the top trim on another tank before but the bottom looks more involved.

What if you just put a band of some sort around it to prevent it from moving? Like a wood frame? I would assume you can find something like pvc cement to completely rebond the plastic.

You could clean it up and then pile in some good 2-part epoxy, and duct-tape the frame to it's oriinal shape and position while epoxy dries. That oughta make it solid.

Back
Top Bottom