Cracked tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if its a crack through the face of the glass, walk away. If its a chip along a corner, it can be workable.

Generally a crack eliminates all strength in glass. If it actually held water, it'd be a ticking timebomb.

alright.. I'm having a tough time finding a 40g breeder.. I would never consider a cracked tank, but I'm now getting desperate. The petco sale is never around when I need it!

I don't know if you are going to take it or not, but I have a cracked 40 gallon that has a peice of glass over the crack held on my silicone. It holds water perfect. Its a regular 40 though, not a breeder.

Pass...Pass...Pass....

unless you plan to Replace the pane and Reseal the whole tank which is an option.

No matter how much Sealant/Silicone it will never be the same.

Oh ya, forgot to mention, that's my outside tank that I keep plants in. I don't really trust it enough to bring it in.

Depending on the nature of the crack, a patch is often all that is needed. The local Big Al's has a 780 shark tank with a patched bottom. It has been holding water for years.

Not sure that I would advocate it, but like Bill, I know of at least two tanks, one a 40B and one a 125 that had cracks patched with silicon and glass panes and they have both been holding water for years. Not something I personally would choose to do, but it is possible to do depending on the nature of the crack.

I just got a used 40g breeder tank today! Its a real aquarium. Time to finish my sump this weekend :)

Back
Top Bottom