Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-09-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cracked Tank Bottom. HELP!

Is GE II safe for fish? I have a small crack at the bottom of my tank and have GE II sealant laying around. Its Sunday and everything is closed niw. Is there a certain sealant I should use? The tanks dimensions are 3ft by 1ft by 1.5ft. I guess its 50 gallons?

Old 06-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaLady View Post
Is GE II safe for fish? I have a small crack at the bottom of my tank and have GE II sealant laying around. Its Sunday and everything is closed niw. Is there a certain sealant I should use? The tanks dimensions are 3ft by 1ft by 1.5ft. I guess its 50 gallons?
Read the tube very very carefully- there have been some catastrophic losses around here through using the wrong silicone. Unless it states that its aquarium safe, you are taking a risk. If it has any mold inhibitors then its a definite NO.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yup it has a 5 yr mold free product it states. Im definitely not gonna use this and look for some at my lps.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaLady View Post
Yup it has a 5 yr mold free product it states. Im definitely not gonna use this and look for some at my lps.
Phew! Disaster averted!!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Indeed, if you use GE, use the I not the II. Look for one that says "windows and Doors" usually in a predominantly blue labeling.
The other question here is whether you need to add some bracing in order to affect a fix. It depends on the nature and size of the crack as well as it's location. Just covering it with silicone is not likely to be sufficient.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I wish I can post a pic. But I have the Loctite brand that's safe for aquariums. The crsck is at the bottom where substrate would go. It's from front to back.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Personally ; and keep in mind I am no expert on this subject but only my thought.
If it was me and it was a tank that had a crack in the bottom that ran front to back I would certainly not use the tank and find a tank to replace it. A new tank is not all that expensive compared to the damage that 50 or so gallons of water would do if the bottom was to suddenly give way , think of what it would be like to dump a gallon of water on the floor and then look at what 50 times that would be like , not a pretty sight.
Some mentioned reinforcing it wich could be an option but again if it were me I would not chance it.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Repairing a crack is a bad idea. But if you think you can fix it I would have a piece of glass cut that is at least 3 inches past the crack on both sides. It need to fit close to the side of the tank. Clean off old silicone so the new piece sit flat on the bottom of the tank. Put some pressure on it so it presses out most of the silicone. Put a lot of silicone on the new piece of glass then put it in the tank. Find something with some weight that will sit on top if the patch glass. After it dries you need to silicone all four sides of the patch. Let sit for a few days then you should be good. Personally I would just replace the whole bottom with a new piece.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is a corner tank I built with a two piece bottom. Out patch over it and it holds water just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3122869608.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	179854   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-616244558.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	179856  

Old 06-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey Aquaman thats some pretty crafty work. Nice job.
When I think of a corner tank I think of a tank in a corner not one that goes around a corner. Pretty cool!

Tags
bottom, crack, tan, tank, tank bottom

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com