Cracked Tank Bottom. HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaLady

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is GE II safe for fish? I have a small crack at the bottom of my tank and have GE II sealant laying around. Its Sunday and everything is closed niw. Is there a certain sealant I should use? The tanks dimensions are 3ft by 1ft by 1.5ft. I guess its 50 gallons?:eek::confused:

Is GE II safe for fish? I have a small crack at the bottom of my tank and have GE II sealant laying around. Its Sunday and everything is closed niw. Is there a certain sealant I should use? The tanks dimensions are 3ft by 1ft by 1.5ft. I guess its 50 gallons?:eek::confused:

Read the tube very very carefully- there have been some catastrophic losses around here through using the wrong silicone. Unless it states that its aquarium safe, you are taking a risk. If it has any mold inhibitors then its a definite NO.

Yup it has a 5 yr mold free product it states. Im definitely not gonna use this and look for some at my lps.

Indeed, if you use GE, use the I not the II. Look for one that says "windows and Doors" usually in a predominantly blue labeling.
The other question here is whether you need to add some bracing in order to affect a fix. It depends on the nature and size of the crack as well as it's location. Just covering it with silicone is not likely to be sufficient.

I wish I can post a pic. But I have the Loctite brand that's safe for aquariums. The crsck is at the bottom where substrate would go. It's from front to back.

Personally ; and keep in mind I am no expert on this subject but only my thought.
If it was me and it was a tank that had a crack in the bottom that ran front to back I would certainly not use the tank and find a tank to replace it. A new tank is not all that expensive compared to the damage that 50 or so gallons of water would do if the bottom was to suddenly give way , think of what it would be like to dump a gallon of water on the floor and then look at what 50 times that would be like , not a pretty sight.
Some mentioned reinforcing it wich could be an option but again if it were me I would not chance it.

Repairing a crack is a bad idea. But if you think you can fix it I would have a piece of glass cut that is at least 3 inches past the crack on both sides. It need to fit close to the side of the tank. Clean off old silicone so the new piece sit flat on the bottom of the tank. Put some pressure on it so it presses out most of the silicone. Put a lot of silicone on the new piece of glass then put it in the tank. Find something with some weight that will sit on top if the patch glass. After it dries you need to silicone all four sides of the patch. Let sit for a few days then you should be good. Personally I would just replace the whole bottom with a new piece.

This is a corner tank I built with a two piece bottom. Out patch over it and it holds water just fine.

Attachments

• image-3122869608.jpg
    image-3122869608.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 159
  • image-616244558.jpg
    image-616244558.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 148
Hey Aquaman thats some pretty crafty work. Nice job.
When I think of a corner tank I think of a tank in a corner not one that goes around a corner. Pretty cool!

For the OP: I would be very cautious about using/repairing a tank with a crack on the bottom, for all the reasons stated above. Water is heavy. Add gravel, rocks, decor, etc, and that is a lot of stress on the bottom of the tank, which will be focused on the crack. I'd wait for the dollar/gallon sale at petco and get a new tank.

For Aquaman: Awesome tank, but I'd be worried about the integrity of the bottom for the same reasons I mentioned above. The joint is a weak spot, and with the 'patch' glass, it introduces additional stresses on the underlying pieces at the edges of the patch. That being said, it appears to be rimless and sitting directly on the surface of it's support structure, which would render my prior comments moot if true. Can you build me one? ;-)

All my tank I build have held water with little to no problems. With that being said they all also sit on a piece of 3/4 styrofoam. That way the tank has something with a little bit of give invade the surface isn't flat, the foam will contour to it under pressure. O also built an 86 gallon tank that I have set up in my living room. I euro braced the top and only used 1/4 inch glass. I also stated that relaxing the bottom was the best option and its not really that hard.

Attachments

• image-927603600.jpg
    image-927603600.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 129
This is a corner tank I built with a two piece bottom. Out patch over it and it holds water just fine.
Awesome tank!! I was gonna replicate this effect with 2 55g tanks. I dont know alot about building tanks but would 3 feet each way from the inside corner be too big?? (one foot high max.) have a perfect corner id love make my main tank/planted/natural light..

This is when it was in it's prime. The heater cooked everything last year and now I'm busting the tank out again and it's now cycling with 25 minnows that I git last night. Only 2 survived.
1477067773274.jpg

Back
Top Bottom