Crazy idea, possibly utterly stupid.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

partypalooza5

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was messing around in my garage today and I came up with an idea. A canister filter full of gravel, to act as a biological filter. does this seem like a good idea? The water pretty much trickles down through the gravel and gets returned to the tank with a pump.

Also, does anyone think it would be a good idea to put a "back flushing" bypass in there so the gravel can be cleaned? (the waste water could be taken out as a PWC)

Just another random idea. Summers for me are rather boring. :rolleyes:

better idea would be to use the pot scrubbers they will have more area. the way you are talking about would be a sump. if you want super easy i seen people put them above the tank pump water in let it flow out back into the tank.

Yea, I know about sumps and stuff I just was trying to make a pressurized system. Mainly because I already have the canister and pump together XD.

But when I put together my SW tank, I'll be using pot scrubbers!

even so it would be best to use pot scrubbers they are lighter in weight with lots of surface area for the bacteria.

it's the right basic concept, but as mgamer is eluding to there's better media to use that's more pourous and has more surface area for the bacteria. Pot scrubbers, ceramic rings, bio balls, etc.

PP5, go for it and let us know how it works out. You may get something that turns out great.
Happy Reefing and have fun!!!

Sure, absolutely, go for it. Sure there's stuff that will works better then gravel but hey... it's a great place to start! :D

When I fix all the leaks I'll post pics.

So far it seems to work pretty good (flow atleast).

I like to use fired clay balls they use for acrophonic gardens & dacron (thats what we call it in Australia) also I use stuff called gutter guard it is used on the roof to stop leaves getting into the gutter! I cut it in 1/2 so it's 4" wide & wrap it around 3 small bioballs & tie it off with some cable ties. It has lots of surface area & is very cheap ($2AUD)

Cary

Thanks for Posting Cary. You live in a very beautiful part of the world. I love Queensland.

Back
Top Bottom