Crazy tank idea: Do you support? Any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mas8394

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The idea is - a fish tank that is inside a fish tank! OR at least below the tank, or adjacent to the tank, but can/is connected to the tank in someway.

About my set ups:

I currently have a 50G Tank and a 55G tank. The 50G tank is home to my Ablino rainbow shark, several danio, several cories and an Angelfish. I've had this current set up for 2 years (originally, I had a black rainbow shark but s/he has passed and been replaced maybe 2 months ago. My current shark is currently more docile but may change with age). Before this set up, I had 3 20G Tanks, 1 which I played with breeding, 1 which I grew aquatic plants in, and 1 that was a personal fish tank.
In my 55G I have a 2 and half y/o yellow belly slider turtle, with a couple bricks and a dock. My turtle is getting too large for her current tank and I've been wanting to update both tanks for awhile.

My plan:

2 - 150G Tanks connected together.
1 - 50G Tank connected to above.
1 - 20G Tank as a sump tank.

My plan, somewhere along the line, is to have 2 150G Tanks connected together side by side with a hole big enough to fit several fish, but small enough and strong enough to prevent the turtle to chase the fish and move into the next tank. In one 150G tank will be the turtle, the one next to it will be a 150G freshwater fish tank (plants, caves fish), and either behind or next to that will be a tank with all types of plants to promote fish breeding and growth (I receive a lot of aid on that portion from breeder buddies) and potentially to help balance out the water.

In the turtle tank I will accommodate caves and get aways for the fish in case if my turtle decides she doesn't like fish/wants fish dinner.

Connected to the turtles 150G tank will be 2 canister filters which are a Fluval 206 and Fluval 306 (Currently connected to the 55G tank).
Connected to the fresh water 150G Tank will be a Aqueon QuietFlow 55/75G and possibly a Marineland Penguin Power Filter 70G filter (Unlike the Aqueon and Canister filters, I do not currently own the Marineland filter).
The 50G Tank will probably have a weaker filter, since it's mostly plant based.
I have yet to determine which tank to connect it to, maybe all 3 at once, but I plan on using either one of the current 50/55G tanks or going out and buying a 20/30G tank and using it as a sump pump to help keep the tank clean.

So, in general, how do you like the idea?
Advice on it?

I was thinking of making the tank hexagonal or similar and putting it in the middle of an empty room and turning the room into a game room/aquarium.

I have metal stands that are more than strong enough to hold these tanks with one below it. All I really have to do is build the tanks, get them working, and get them cycled.

P.S.- This is sort of like a distant dream idea. It may not happen for awhile because I may be downsizing from a larger -paid off- house to a smaller apartment because of my new job. Gotta follow the career to make money. But it's best to start doing the homework and work now, so it'll make the future easier.

Also, I apologize for spelling and grammatical errors. I don't normally proofread.

Unless you're doing live bearers such as guppies, platies, or mollies I wouldn't suggest it. The turtle will eventually eat the fish and you would have to keep replacing them. Egg laying fish just don't have a good breeding rate in aquariums and those that do end up terrorizing all their tank mates.

I have seen both plexi glass tanks like that and also glass tanks , the problem with them is they are near impossible to move , seals break or even the glass , if it gets bumped there's a chance something will leak , there is also a bigger chance of tank failure ,
why destroy 2 150g tanks , yes it would be neat but is it worth risking a flood , I would vote NO

I have seen both plexi glass tanks like that and also glass tanks , the problem with them is they are near impossible to move , seals break or even the glass , if it gets bumped there's a chance something will leak , there is also a bigger chance of tank failure ,
why destroy 2 150g tanks , yes it would be neat but is it worth risking a flood , I would vote NO

If done properly you should neither destroy the tanks nor risk a flood. I just don't think that it's reasonable to do for a turtle tank.

Back
Top Bottom