Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-19-2002, 11:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Creating Interior Decorations

I want to create a tower/castle for my 55 gallon or 20 gallon tank. I am planning for it to have a number of openings (doors and windows) in it and also plan to have a ramp near the top which will serve as a ramp for my turtle to surface and bask.

The best idea I have thought of to do this is to use some non flexible plastic sheets to build the framework and ramp. I would use silicon to keep it together. Then I would cover it with silicon and place gravel on it so that it blends better with the other items in the tank.

Has anyone tried something like this before? Anyone have better ideas on materials to use?

Old 12-20-2002, 04:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Somethingfishy Send a message via Yahoo to Somethingfishy
I have not got personal experience with it, but I have seen some people creating their own backgrounds and I think they used a type of polystyrene and stuff, and it did look awesome. Can't remember where I saw it

Old 01-09-2003, 06:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I find lego makes for excellent decorations. And when you get tired of it, pull it out and rebuild it. They even have some very fitting underwater theme sets. Just be sure to weigh them down.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I like that idea! 8) I think I'll go get some legos. Not that I'll discard my other idea, as I look forward to the challenge of making something that blends with the gravel. But a nice castle built out of legos would look cool too.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:57 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
This is something that I saw suggested on another forum.

If you take some PVC pipe and cover it with aquarium safe sylicon and then roll the pipe around in aquarium gravel you will end up with a gravel covered pipe.

You could arange these how ever you want.

I might try this myself

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 10:30 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have actually been thinking of using plastic pipes for columns to make my tower. It didn't occur to me to roll the pipe in the gravel. Good, these ideas are very helpful!
Old 01-20-2003, 10:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Today I purchased a small tube of 100% clear silicone, a 10 foot long PVC pipe with a 3/4 inch diameter and some 6 inch by 9 inch clear plexiglass. These will become a tower. The fish will be able to swim in and out of the lower levels. The top level will have two ramps and will be dry. This will become a basking area for our turtle.

I also bought two short 4 inch diameter pipes which will become a cave. I have already begun to cover one of them with silicone and gravel.

My question is how long do I need to wait for the silicone to dry before placing items I create into my fish tanks?
Old 01-20-2003, 10:19 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Silicone needs to cure at minimum 48 hours, but I suggest the 7 day rule so you get the maximum strength. If you submerse it before that, you will not achieve the maximum strength.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for your quick response.

I will exercise extreme patience.

Tags
deco, decor, decorations, eat, eating, rio

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com