Creating Interior Decorations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertmarda

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to create a tower/castle for my 55 gallon or 20 gallon tank. I am planning for it to have a number of openings (doors and windows) in it and also plan to have a ramp near the top which will serve as a ramp for my turtle to surface and bask.

The best idea I have thought of to do this is to use some non flexible plastic sheets to build the framework and ramp. I would use silicon to keep it together. Then I would cover it with silicon and place gravel on it so that it blends better with the other items in the tank.

Has anyone tried something like this before? Anyone have better ideas on materials to use?

I have not got personal experience with it, but I have seen some people creating their own backgrounds and I think they used a type of polystyrene and stuff, and it did look awesome. Can't remember where I saw it :oops:

I find lego makes for excellent decorations. And when you get tired of it, pull it out and rebuild it. They even have some very fitting underwater theme sets. Just be sure to weigh them down.

I like that idea! 8) I think I'll go get some legos. Not that I'll discard my other idea, as I look forward to the challenge of making something that blends with the gravel. But a nice castle built out of legos would look cool too.

This is something that I saw suggested on another forum.

If you take some PVC pipe and cover it with aquarium safe sylicon and then roll the pipe around in aquarium gravel you will end up with a gravel covered pipe.

You could arange these how ever you want.

I might try this myself

I have actually been thinking of using plastic pipes for columns to make my tower. It didn't occur to me to roll the pipe in the gravel. Good, these ideas are very helpful!

Today I purchased a small tube of 100% clear silicone, a 10 foot long PVC pipe with a 3/4 inch diameter and some 6 inch by 9 inch clear plexiglass. These will become a tower. The fish will be able to swim in and out of the lower levels. The top level will have two ramps and will be dry. This will become a basking area for our turtle.

I also bought two short 4 inch diameter pipes which will become a cave. I have already begun to cover one of them with silicone and gravel.

My question is how long do I need to wait for the silicone to dry before placing items I create into my fish tanks?

Silicone needs to cure at minimum 48 hours, but I suggest the 7 day rule so you get the maximum strength. If you submerse it before that, you will not achieve the maximum strength.

Back
Top Bottom