cultivating live food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xander

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking to cultivate some live food for my fish. I have not made up my mind as to what yet. I don't know a lot about it so I was hoping to see what folks here do, I was leaning toward white worms. I'm surpised there hasn't been more discussion on the subject.

tetras, hatchets, Uaru, apistos when I get some. a black bullhead
Mostly interested in getting my Uaru a varied diet. and my bullhead can eat a lot.

LOL. I just noticed this was a freshwater site as well. Sorry, I know nothing about feeding freshwater fish.

I culture grindal worms and red worms. I was considering white worms, I decided against trying them because I read they required cool temperatures. During the summer it gets up to 90* indoors and I did not want to dedicate a small fridge to keeping them. Both the red and grindal worms are quite easy to keep and feed. The grindals seem to do best when looked after daily, the reds once a week.

Well looking at red worms I think I will try that. I read that grindal worms do well when combined in the same culture as red worms. I should be able to get reds from a bait shop. Does anyone know a good place to get a starter culture of grindal worms?

I purchased mine on aquabid from someone here in California, there seemed to be 3-5 different sources on there at the time. The grindals live in coir bedding, inside sandwich size plastic containers, maybe 6" square and 2" tall with plenty of small holes in the lid so they can breathe. They're fed daily with fish flake food (the ground up stuff at the bottom of the can works well) and ground oatmeal or baby food. To collect for feeding to fish, I make a paste of water and food on the underside of a piece of glass or acrylic placed on top of the bedding, 12-24 hours later it's covered in worms. Cultures seem to peak after 4 to 6 weeks then production tapers off slowly, I keep two and replace one each month with new bedding.

Back
Top Bottom