Custom 3D Backgrounds... (Yeah, again)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Verbalkint

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok.. I have read every post I could find on here, and about 75% of the ones that google returned from varied search queries.

One simple question I have has NOT been fully answered. ;-)

I know to use 100% Silicon.
I know to use Styrofoam.

My question is. Is quickrete Saltwater Safe?
If Not, what else could be used to get the Rocky / Sandy look??

Could I just coat the 'wall' in epoxy / silicon and coat it with playsand, or what?

I know what I want, i have a design prototyped in 3dsmax already. I have a fair amount of artistic ability.. :)

I just need to know whats 'SAFE'.

All that i have found to date with saltwater mentioned seem to be in the context that saltwater was used to 'Cure' the background, but was soon replaced with Freshwater.

Many Thanks

D

That's a darned good question!

I think everyone here that's done it has done it in a FW setting.

I am also quite interested in the answer myself... however I think you may be the "guinaepig" :D

What you could do... if you have the means... it just make a small lump of styrafoam, coat it with some quickcrete, and whatever else you plan on doing to it to dye/surface it. Then cure it as suggested in the other threads... then put it in either a small SW tank, 5-10 gallons (nothing else in it) or even a bucket with a PH and heater. test the water for a few weeks and see how it goes.

It's a long time to wait, sure... but better than wiping out your whole tank if something goes wrong.

Back
Top Bottom