Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Building a custom 95 gallon plexiglas tank, 36" tall

I am new here, new to aquariums and new to keeping fish that I don't eat. With that said, I work with a plastic shop and have access to some scrap 1" thick acrylic.
I am thinking of building a 36"H x 36"L x 20"D tank (internal dimensions would be 36"H x 34" L x 18"D). I am pretty sure the 1" acrylic will be able to support the height and I will be using a 1/2" solid acrylic top to add a bit more support on top. I'll be using Weld On #4 with a 25 gauge needle. All my cuts are being made with a waterjet cutter, so I hopefully won’t have to worry about crazing due to it never heating up.

So here are my questions:
Anything I should be careful about?

For the top, I was thinking of doing two 13 x 13" access holes, but maybe it would be better to do one 26 x 26 instead?

When welding the Plexiglas together, I believe I will have to do the pin head procedure vs capillary due to the thickness. I have read that capillary is only recommended up to 1/2" thick. Any truth? Anyone with a better idea then using pins to raise the acrylic?

Whats a good way for plumbing? I am unsure if I should build an overflow box inside or out, how do I determined where to place it, etc? I am really lost on this plumbing thing, and it seems there’s a million ways to do it. Just wondering what has worked the best for most. Do I even need a overflow box? Or just have the intake close to the top and siphon down to a sump box?

Will a or multiple 96 watt t5's be able to penetrate 3 feet of water? Or will I need to use metal halide? I would like to go to LED but seems way overprice for the amount I would need to penetrate the depth of the water.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #2

Acrylic...

Still no replies? Here is a picture of the rough cut acrylic before it goes to the waterjet cutting place.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like a great project, will be following along fore sure.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Same here. No input but can't wait to see results.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:15 AM   #5

Finally got my plexi cut.

Duplicate post..........
Old 08-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #6

Plexiglass Cut Finally

So my original post of this was messed up and now has disappeared. So here it is again... 36" tall x 36" long x 20" deep. I am using 1" thick acrylic for all the sides and bottom. The top will be covered with half inch for added support. All the cuts were performed with a waterjet and will be lightly sanded with 120 grit before using weld on 4. I had my buddy also cut some aluminum scraps for an inner and outer jig to help hold these heavy peaces of acrylic in place.

image hosting
Old 08-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #7

Test fitting the cuts...

So I decided to test fit the cuts of acrylic today. They are pretty much dead on.... Here is what the aquarium will look like

adult image hosting
Old 08-10-2011, 11:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

i cant give input either... but i so want to see the results....
Old 08-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I work for a medical device company and use acrylic to make storage tanks. The adhesive I use I got from McMaster-Carr. I wish I could give you the name of it, but I can't remember. The bond dries quickly and if you do it right, you won't even see it. The bond chemically fuses the plastic so it super strong. In about 24-48 hours the plexiglass will break before the bond does. There may be some minor leaks, so you may want to use some aquarium silcone on the seems just to be safe.
I'm super jealous of you! My company NEVER has scraps that big! Lucky!
Old 08-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ord6531 View Post
I work for a medical device company and use acrylic to make storage tanks. The adhesive I use I got from McMaster-Carr. I wish I could give you the name of it, but I can't remember. The bond dries quickly and if you do it right, you won't even see it. The bond chemically fuses the plastic so it super strong. In about 24-48 hours the plexiglass will break before the bond does. There may be some minor leaks, so you may want to use some aquarium silcone on the seems just to be safe.
I'm super jealous of you! My company NEVER has scraps that big! Lucky!
Well it was not quite scrap as it was more an accidental order and taking up space. Doubt anyone could tell from the photos, but the sides are actually just shy of 1" they are 15/16" or some metric size... Though we due have tons of 3/4" and smaller sizes, even some metric sizes. I will be collecting some of those for a sump here soon.

Tags
5 gallon, custom, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com