Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2007, 10:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Custom Decorations - Underwater Gas Well

I work for a company named Ferguson Beauregard. We make natural gas production equipment. Now, I have an All Glass Mini Bow 5 at work and I want to build an underwater well site. I need help suggesting materials for constructing these. Safe craft items, types of plastics, etc.

There are several components, right now I'm thinking of the well head (christmas tree), the meter run, seperators, and tanks. I have some pictures below of everything but the christmas tree which you can kinda see here. Sorry bout the black and white, I didn't realize my camera was in that mode.

I want to make the pipeline blue. We paint some of our products blue. I will also need some kind of plastic plate to bury below the substrate that I will glue the pieces to. I suppose the first material to find will be to make the pipeline. It needs to be small and rod shaped, I can glue it with silicone.

Tanks - this is a dual liquid tank, but in my tank I want to have two of these (water and oil). They look about the same though.

These are 3 types of meter runs, they usually have a pipeline with a flow computer on top. One has a compressor too but I'm not interested in making this.

And finally these are seperators.

Alshain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
Cool idea, can't wait to see!

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would google "scratch building" for models and toy train setups... you can use virtually anything... I would personally go for pvc or polystyrene and use pvc glue. let algae grow all over it and it would look cool!
Old 09-22-2007, 12:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
Try a HobbyTown USA, my father-in-law sets up lots of cityscapes and they always have the oddest plastic pieces for it, that would be a good place to start.

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 01:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

PVC would work if I could find a small enough diameter. I could then paint it with a latex paint and that would be easy. The only problem is, this is a 5 gallon tank, I would need a diameter no bigger than 1/4", smaller if possible. I'm not sure if it comes that small.

I just found out that I live a block away from a HobbyTown, never seen it there but, their website says it is. I will check it out.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was not talking about pipe! I was talking about PVC sheets... You can get it at sign company and plastic suppliers, or drop by a sign shop and ask them for table saw drops. I used to throw so much of that stuff out.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklid
I was not talking about pipe! I was talking about PVC sheets... You can get it at sign company and plastic suppliers, or drop by a sign shop and ask them for table saw drops. I used to throw so much of that stuff out.
Didn't know they made it in sheets, but while searching for it I found they also make PVC rods which would work for the much of the project, the tubing, the seperators, even the tanks. Then I can use the sheets to cut the stairs and the odds and ends.

The first part I need to make is the Christmas tree, If I had various sizes of the rods I could cut them into small cylindrical blocks and glue them stacked, then use a small rod for the lubricator. Then I would have to find a way to make the valve wheels.

I still haven't shown you guys exactly what I am trying to make, I want to closely mimic the demo setup we have in our training center. Tomorrow is a work day so I will get some pics and post them. Most of the pics you see here don't actually have our products on them.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is a gas well christmas tree, actually there is more here than is typically on a real one. This is a mach setup in our training facility. I don't expect to go into this detail, the grey cable conduit can be omitted, the bottom tubing has a pipe going through the wall that comes from a compressor to simulate activity and of course this doesn't need to be there. Also I will probably modify the stuff on the right, but you get the idea.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just had a funny thought -- it would be neat if you could incorporate the regular tank equipment in the decorations. Like have the heater as part of one decoration, and have the filter intake as part of another...
Old 09-25-2007, 12:08 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thats a little harder to do, the tank has a whisper in-tank filter, one of the medium sized ones. Although the tank hood does support the possibility of replacing it with an HOB, I'm considering it since it takes up so much space. At any rate I still think thats a bit more of a challenge than I was planning on.

Tags
custom, deco, decor, decorations, gas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com