Custom hob diy refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Race37

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am trying to build a nano reef tank out of a 20H and have a few questions. I'm trying to build a large fuge that will sit behind the tank on the same stand but work as a hob. This will house my heater, carbon media, and skimmer, dimensions will be 24"L, 6"D, 20"H. So hopping it will make a extra 10g of capacity. It will be fed by a cut up whisper hob filter that will pull water from the tank into the fuge and then will overflow back into the tank on the opposite side so it can't flood my floors lol. This is my first attempt at a fuge or reef tank, but had a fowlr in collage so not totally new to salt water, just new to the reed side.

My questions are

1: does anyone have any have any experience with the hydor in sump skimmer, nano or the large one and how well do they work.

2: Can I use the plexiglass from hardware stores or it be too week and have to get the acrylic from a glass shop (nothing close to me without driving 2 hours)

3: How important would a bubble trap be in this kind of a setup

4: And finally how much of a flow is too much for a fuge to work correctly, I don't want to a trickle but have heard that too fast defeats the reason for a fuge (was thinking of cutting the side off of a old whisper 30 I have, have a smaller one, and a 55 also)

Back
Top Bottom