custom install of premade tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newcomer

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey what I am thinking of doing, is my local fish store can get tank's and hood for cheap..i want to put a tank in the wall .....now what do I need to know? or what do I have to do? :?:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewforum.php?f=14

DIY forum, may be something there to help you out.

I've never installed an in-wall tank, but I think explaining the whole process is a bit much for a forum like this.

Do you have much in the way of carpentry experience? Tools? Possibly electrical work and plumbing involved too.

Sorry if this wasn't much help, but I hope it's at least given you some things to think about.

corvuscorax

Yes I have a dad who is a certified carpenter and cabinet maker.. good some very young bird's eye maple and it gonna be great...will post some pictures when made.. Now my question refined is this,, why is it that that the bottom of the glass in an aquarium is not supported? on bigger tanks does it need to be? get the top of a cabinet need to be grooved to fit the tank.. No idea? this is what my problem is?

Can Anyone Help me with this project?

The bottom glass, especially in larger tanks (55 gal and up), will be tempered glass and thick enough to hold about anything you might put in there. The most important thing is that the edges of the tank be supported equally all the way around. The stand should be level and true. If it isn't, the tank can twist and begin to leak. If it's out far enough, it can even crack the glass. Grooving the stand would be a matter of preference but I probably wouldn't bother...just one more variable in getting the thing level. Most in-wall installs that I have seen hide the frame of the tank and no weight rests on the wall. Cut out the hole and trim it back to the tank so that you only see the front glass and none of the frame or edges.

I'm in the process of putting a tank in the wall right now. I took an existing closet that was in my office and converted it to hold my tank. One side is going to face into the hallway and the other, into my office. I just picked up my tank this weekend (150gal 60x24x24)

Here's a link to my online photo album That I've been keeping of my progress

Photo Album

Hope this inspires you!!! :wink:

[mod]fixed URL to photo album - BillyZ [/mod]

Can you post a picture of the otherside once finished? Wonderful! It fill my head with all sorts of idea that my wife will hate :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom