Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Custom Sump/Scrubber need some advice

Hey all, This project started because my tank is over stocked, it was originally a planted tank but due to algae issues it became a unplanted tank. Ive had Diatoms for 3-4 months now and decided to find out why. Upon calling the water company they average 15-22ppm of silicates, that combined with my high fish load causes algae issues. (I need to do 50% water changes weekly to keep the Nitrates in check, about 10-15ppm increase per week)

So Ive decided to build an algae scrubber/sump. It will only have a small amount of filter floss to catch the big stuff, all other filtration will be done by the gravel (BB) and the algae. Heres my plan:

Now the cross lined area will not have water it will be boxed out, should I just allow the algae scrubber to dump into that entire area (unboxed) or give it a small area to pour into (boxed)?

Ill be using 4 660nm Red leds and one 455 blue led. The flow rate on the scrubber should be around 250gph a little less should be ok as well.

Does anyone see any issues with my design? This is a 29 gallon main tank with a custom sump of L16 x W8 x H17.

Thanks in advance!
10 Gallon Tank: 1x Dwarf Red Flame Gourami, 2x Apple Snails

29 Gallon Tank: 2x German Blue Rams, 8x Zebra Danios, 8x Black Skirt Tetra, 5x Peppered Corys, 1x Apple Snail, 4 Zebra Nerite Snails
tottenham12712 is offline   Reply With Quote

advice, custom, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com