Custom Sump/Scrubber need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tottenham12712

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all, This project started because my tank is over stocked, it was originally a planted tank but due to algae issues it became a unplanted tank. Ive had Diatoms for 3-4 months now and decided to find out why. Upon calling the water company they average 15-22ppm of silicates, that combined with my high fish load causes algae issues. (I need to do 50% water changes weekly to keep the Nitrates in check, about 10-15ppm increase per week)

So Ive decided to build an algae scrubber/sump. It will only have a small amount of filter floss to catch the big stuff, all other filtration will be done by the gravel (BB) and the algae. Heres my plan:
img_2269739_0_e0af29e34d5ee6933d66341200b08d66.jpg

Now the cross lined area will not have water it will be boxed out, should I just allow the algae scrubber to dump into that entire area (unboxed) or give it a small area to pour into (boxed)?

Ill be using 4 660nm Red leds and one 455 blue led. The flow rate on the scrubber should be around 250gph a little less should be ok as well.

Does anyone see any issues with my design? This is a 29 gallon main tank with a custom sump of L16 x W8 x H17.

Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom