Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2006, 09:06 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Cutting glass with Dremel

I have been toying with the idea of cutting slots on top of my tank (or a U shape hole) so I can attach my overflow to the back without having to use siphon tubes. <My siphons had not failed yet, but I still worry.>

I have read of people cutting holes with a diamond point bit in dremel. I saw some diamond cutting wheels for dremel that is supposed to be for cutting glass. That would be better than the diamond point as I anm plannning on cutting straight lines.

Anyone had experience with that? And what's the risk of cracking the tank?

Old 02-14-2006, 09:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

If it's tempered glass don't try to cut it yourself (unless someone knows something I don't), as it's brittle as all hell.

If it's just glass you can probably do it, but I don't have any exp. so I can't really help!
You might pick up a pane of glass from your local hardware store the same thickness as your tank to practice on....

There was an article about drilling glass posted here a little while ago... basically it said to keep the cut well irrigated at all times to prevent heat build up, and to go slowly.

Good luck!

EDIT
here's that post i mentioned
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=70236

3 Dwarf Puffers, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 3 Otos

Planted with Java Fern, C. retrospiralis, Java moss, chistmas moss, L. repens, R. rotundifolia, Wisteria, C. wendtii, C. lucen, S. subulata, M. heterophyllum, C. carolina
BlazerFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
Quote:
If it's tempered glass don't try to cut it yourself (unless someone knows something I don't), as it's brittle as all hell.
Don't cut it at all, not even a professional can cut tempered glass.

Tempering is done by heating the glass to a molten state (glowing hot), then spraying the surface with a very cold gas, this essentially solidifies the outer layers (surface) of the glass first, gradually moving to the center. this places tension on the surface. this is where it's great strength comes from, The center of the glass is constantly pulling the surface in. the second the surface is breeched, the whole system collapses, it essentially implodes (making all those pretty sparkley squares).. you cannot do anything with tempered glass.. even a pressure point will cause it to fail..
Old 02-15-2006, 11:31 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I am pretty sure that the glass is not tempered.

I am planning a cut at the side glass, and FAIK, usually only the bottom pane is tempered.

This is an older Oceanic tank, & the glass is 3/8" thick. I would expect tempered glass to be used in newer tanks and the glass would be thinner.

Now, someone please hit me over the head if any of my assumptions is wrong!!!
Old 02-16-2006, 01:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

What size tank is it? I forget which ones are tempered tho... but I know i saw a list online.

3 Dwarf Puffers, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 3 Otos

Planted with Java Fern, C. retrospiralis, Java moss, chistmas moss, L. repens, R. rotundifolia, Wisteria, C. wendtii, C. lucen, S. subulata, M. heterophyllum, C. carolina
BlazerFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:05 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

The actual inside measurements work out to 65-66 gal, but it is prob a 70 or even a 75 gal nominal. I bought it used, estimate age being 20-30 years old.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:05 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
wetmedia (I read this on there site) trick to find if your glass is tempered (give it a try on the winsheild of a car first so you know what your looking for)

take two pair of polrized sunglasses.. put one set on and put the other set on the other side of the glass in question.. there is a pattern that will appear as you rotate the sunglass lens on the other side of polerized glass. if the glass is not tempered you will see no such pattern..

HTH

Tags
glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com