Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to divedeep1689
dap household silicone how long to wait....

Hey guys i used some dap household silicone from home depot on my return line from my sump on my reef. It says cures in 72 hours i put it on sunday morning about 1 am. If i go ahead and start my pump back up and start using it will it hurt anything.

special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
divedeep1689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The pack said aquarium safe by the way.

special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

has the bad silicone smell went away yet?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

going to check now
Old 01-11-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

also, I am sure you already did this but make sure their are no leaks in it before you turn on the pump or you could have a nice mess on your hands. What I do is get some red food colouring and mix some water with it and then let it sit for about 15 minutes, that way any slow leaks will show up through the silicone and I don't have to worry about the leaks showing up. But about the curing usually it is fine once you can't smell the silicone anymore.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

no not yet.. so should i wait or run some freshwater through for a while as well.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

what you could do is mist on some freshwater and that MIGHT help with the curing process, but you would probably be better to just let it sit overnight. Silicone uses humidity in the air to cure if I remember my chemistry class well enough back from when I was in highschool, so if you could increase the humidity that might decrease the cure time. I don't know what the effects would be of leak testing it before it has cured though, if the silicone is still sticky wet, then the weight of the water might move it and create leaks, but if it has already gotten pretty close to being cured than I couldn't see the harm and it might be good to do it before it cures 100% as you will be able to add more silicone to the spots that do leaks without having to worry about whether or not the new silicone will bond with the old stuff. One thing I can tell you for sure is that there will be leaks lol, I don't think I have ever got one perfect on the first try, except for an overflow box I did a while back, and there was very little places that needed to be siliconed...
Old 01-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

cool thanks i will let it sit over night then try it out. It was just a small drip before i decided to add silicone in the first place so maybe there wont be leaks. fingers crossed lol
Old 01-11-2010, 05:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

what kind of return line is it? pvc or rubber or what?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

rubber hose with two pvc elbows holding it onto side of tank. I have used it for a while with no leaks as it had a very snug fit but i noticed a small drip the other day.

Tags
long, silicone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com