de-rimming filled tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyris69

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been wanting to remove the rim off of my 40 gallon breeder tank for some time now. I've done this easily on a 5, 10, and 20 gallon tank, however this on is a heavily planted community tank.

So my question is, can I remove the top rim piece without hurting the tank or the fish? Would it be best to leave the back top trim on since I use 3 HOB filters
or, should I just not do it?

I know I should have done this when I got the tank but being overly excited I started the tank up and not its well established and the way I want it, well, just with a unwanted top rim.

I am not sure removing the rim on a 40b is a good idea. Is it center braced?

Yes they have a brace and DO NOT remove the brace. It is there for a reason. Removing the brace will do damage to your tank and possible cause it to fail.

From a physics perspective, that brace prevents the two walls of the tank from bowing out from each other and is absolutely essential on a tank larger than 30 gallons. Even with tempered glass, it still bends when water presses against it. Removing the center brace will cause one of the 2 sides or both to fail thus breaking under pressure. The force pressing against the outside walls will be too much for it to take without that brace.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Please do not attempt this it will fail an that is a fact.

Not all 40bs are center braced.

I do agree though it is a risk with a tank that large.

We have a 65gal that's unbraced. We'd like to take the rim off and put a rim that has the middle brace on it on the tank. Instead of starting a new thread about the same topic, any suggestions on how to do so in an already filled tank?

Back
Top Bottom