Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

De-rimming my 20 gallon long

So I finally decided to de-rim a 20 gallon long. $1 a gallon sale at Petco.

Got to say the project is a bit tougher than I thought it would be. The plastic rim is very hard and this tank was very well built, I understand now why the rim is part of the tank's integrity.

After a few attempts trying to cut through it I gave up and pulled out my heat gun, I took a few shots hoping I can post them as I go along. Basically I'm melting the plastic and the silicone that holds it right off of the tank and as I heat up a section, it becomes easier to pull away from the glass, so I'm just peeling it as I soften the next section.

I'm pretty confident the tank will hold the water after I'm done, this is not a big tank and the silicone is very strong.

I'll post more as I go along and please to anyone attempting this.... Please be very careful as you can easily chip or crack the glass and also the glass itself has some sharp edges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2964280674.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	196961   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2011410180.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	196962  

Old 09-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

always wanted to do this. i'll be following

Old 09-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilpi View Post
So I finally decided to de-rim a 20 gallon long. $1 a gallon sale at Petco.

Got to say the project is a bit tougher than I thought it would be. The plastic rim is very hard and this tank was very well built, I understand now why the rim is part of the tank's integrity.

After a few attempts trying to cut through it I gave up and pulled out my heat gun, I took a few shots hoping I can post them as I go along. Basically I'm melting the plastic and the silicone that holds it right off of the tank and as I heat up a section, it becomes easier to pull away from the glass, so I'm just peeling it as I soften the next section.

I'm pretty confident the tank will hold the water after I'm done, this is not a big tank and the silicone is very strong.

I'll post more as I go along and please to anyone attempting this.... Please be very careful as you can easily chip or crack the glass and also the glass itself has some sharp edges.
I heard that your suppose to reseal the tank...
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The heat gun is definitely the way to go pulling the rim, was done in just over an hour total.

After it was all done I cleaned some of the remaining silicone and rounded the sharp edges of the glass with emery cloth using a sanding block, being careful not to scratch the glass.

Filled the tank with water and will leave it for a day or two out on the deck. It still has a little bit of silicone residue that I'll clean later on with a bit more time.

I did a measurement filled and there is a bow of just under an 1/8" in the center, I don't think 1/16" per side is a lot, I forgot to take a measurement with the rim on, can anyone let me know what the bow is with the rim when filled?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3290918332.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	196984   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-646329288.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	196985  

Old 09-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sillyfishes, I'm not sure about resealing it, it definitely does not look like it needs anymore than what it already has.

Do you mean remove all the silicone and do it over?
Old 09-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
The heat gun is definitely the way to go pulling the rim, was done in just over an hour total.

After it was all done I cleaned some of the remaining silicone and rounded the sharp edges of the glass with emery cloth using a sanding block, being careful not to scratch the glass.

Filled the tank with water and will leave it for a day or two out on the deck. It still has a little bit of silicone residue that I'll clean later on with a bit more time.

I did a measurement filled and there is a bow of just under an 1/8" in the center, I don't think 1/16" per side is a lot, I forgot to take a measurement with the rim on, can anyone let me know what the bow is with the rim when filled?
It's bad if there's ANY bow in the tank.
3g Pico Reef
Old 09-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyfishies View Post

It's bad if there's ANY bow in the tank.
True. But without a baseline measurement, it is possible that the extra 1/8" was already present at the center with the frame on. Still, fingers crossed on this.
I have two 20 gallon long tanks. Next chance I get, I will take measurements at the center and the corners and check for differences.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Unless there is a center brace, there is always going to be some bowing. Both of my 40 gallon breeder tanks bow around 1/4" total and that is with a rim.
I'm not worried about an eight of an inch bow in the center, just wonder what that measurement is with the rim still attached.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:23 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Unless there is a center brace, there is always going to be some bowing. Both of my 40 gallon breeder tanks bow around 1/4" total and that is with a rim.
I'm not worried about an eight of an inch bow in the center, just wonder what that measurement is with the rim still attached.
40g breeders are suppose to have center braces... As long as there's bowing, there will be pressure on the silicone. Eventually it's going to blowout. When you de-rim a tank, you want to keep your water level lower then usual.
3g Pico Reef
Old 09-08-2013, 01:45 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Its 1/8" ad well. I have the 20g L and it bows witha a brace. Its all fine and dandy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com