Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You will still have to do water changes as there are trace amounts of different elements in your water (phosphate, iron, etc....) These don't all exist in equal amounts so when one element runs its course in the current water (i.e. is used up by plants, algae, etc...) there will be an imbalance that occurs. This imbalance will result in the production of algae.

This is my theory on that as I've never used/heard of a denitrator and after reading about it, it makes it sound like a device that allows the aquarist to be lazy. Doing a water change once a week isn't much to ask for.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper View Post
it makes it sound like a device that allows the aquarist to be lazy. Doing a water change once a week isn't much to ask for.
I was going to say something similar, but I'm too nice...:p

Old 03-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado33 View Post
I was going to say something similar, but I'm too nice...:p
Haha I try not to sugarcoat too many things. Best to tell it how it is when lives are at stake (the fish's of course).
Old 03-24-2010, 07:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Actually corrado that is what I was planning on doing with the Y. I am going to use an old phone charger with the adapter to plug it into the wall. They aren't normally submersible but I can wire it so I can just drop it in the tank. No big deal. I don't think they are that loud. It shouldn't be a problem.

I know viper. I will continue the changes. It's not to make them lazy it is just to help with tanks with big bio-loads.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

An old phone charger? I don't know if that'll be enough to power the washer pump. What is the amperage on the charger and pump? If you try to draw too much power out of somethin that's not made to give it, you'll have a fire on your hands.

Ex. My cell phone charger pushes a full 0.7 Amps at 5.1 V. That's really a small amount. Also, is the phone charger 12 V? You could always go to your local electronics store and pick up a DC power source. When I was at radioshack recently I saw a 12 V, 1 or 1.5 amp power source for $25 bucks maybe? Or you could always make one from an old PC power supply. Those'll give you like 10-20 amps or somethin depending on the one you have.

They're really easy to make too, just go to Instructables - Make, How To, and DIY and type in ATX bench power supply. Much like this one... ATX to Lab Bench Power Supply Conversion
Took me a full 10 minutes to make mine...
Old 03-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have to bring my multimeter home from work and see what kind of power is coming out of it. I don't think I will need to pump running at full capacity anyways. I won't need that much volume of water.

I understand what you are saying. I will watch it for a while and see what the heat is like for the fire safety.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

So the charger out of the wall is putting out 5.16 volts and .06 amps. Not a whole lot. Let's see how it runs the pump..... Works great in the test cup. Full scale test next..
Old 04-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not an electronics expert (more of a hobbyist) but it doesn't matter if your pump doesn't need to be fully powered. The point is it'll try to draw all of the amps that it wants. If your power source can't handle it, then that's a problem. If you want to see how many amps the pump draws, hook it up to a car battery. Since you have the pump, and the wires coming from it, it's pretty easy to take it out to your car really quick. Then wire it as you would normally to the car battery. Then unplug the positive wire, and put the black lead from the multimeter on the pump positive wire. Then put the read lead from the multimeter on the positive side of the battery. It should give you amps.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:18 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have mine running on a siphon from DT to sump.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

I don't have a sump... Well I put it in a 10 gallon tank and let it run. It filled the canister and started pumping through, then I noticed it leaking at the connections on the canister where the tube goes it so I shut it off. I resealed it and I plugged it back in and nothing... Not sure yet. Don't have my meter with me so I don't know where power is running.

I think I might just buy a very small pump. I was just screwing around with this pump because I was bored. Oh well. I will update this if I do something different.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com