Design for a DIY Sump Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thumasdavis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was messing around and had an idea for an "In Pipe" Sump Tank. I would be interested to hear any comments or ideas anyone has about this design - I obviously haven't built it yet but I do intend to, so if there are any fatal flaws I haven't considered I would be eager to hear about them.

Attachments

• IN_PIPE_SUMP.jpg
    IN_PIPE_SUMP.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 310
It would be cheaper, easier, more effactive, and give more volume to just use an aquarium and silicone in some baffles. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Thank You

Thank you very much for your replies gents. You guys don't happen to have any links for examples of "closed loop" systems, do you? I am very uncertain about how to go about siliconing in the dividers in a sump and worried about overflow. That is kinda why I had been considering ideas for other options, just not certain about overflows and sumps. Any advice would be appreciated.

Google "Melev's Reef". You'll be able to learn everything you need about sumps there.

A close loop system really isn't intended to filter the tank. They're designed to increase the current in a saltwater tank, nothing more.

If a sump isn't for you, look at canister filters. They work in a similar fashion to your design.

Back
Top Bottom