Designing a Spraybar for a 180G Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiskeyD

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm setting up a 180 gallon planted discus tank and I need to design a spray bar for the return. I'm trying to figure out what diameter PVC pipe will work best for a 6ft tank running (2) 1000gph pumps. I'm only going to use one pump at first but will eventually buy a second. Also, I need to decide if I want to drill holes in the PVC or have 4-5 outlets with nozzles. I'm liking the nozzles so I can adjust the angle of the water flow. Any ideas/tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

edit - also a lil side question, Is it best to have a strainer in your overflow drains or do a lot of people just run them open? I found these http://www.aquacave.com/high-capacity-suction-br-screens-black-2602.html they look good and will stop the larger plant matter from clogging the pipes.

one pump is enough for a 180 gallon but 2 is fine. I will go with 2inch pvc or 1 1/2 inch pvc. as for the spraybar u can run it in the back of the tank(inside)lol, with holes ... so the spraybar will be as long as the tank.

or

if u like u can run the spraybar like a air bubble. set it on top of ur sand and let the water spray up like a air bubble tube.

i dont run strainer on my overflow, and it suck sometime when feeding them pellet, y? cuz it will just be drains down the pipe.

like my duckweed, it just keep getting drain down.

My recommendation is to use 2 spray bars that combined will cover the width of your tank. have each pump go to T that is in the middle of the bar so you get a more even coverage.

Back
Top Bottom