Designing my 125 Gallon Canopy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozorowsky

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I am designing my canopy that I will begin building possibly sunday. What should I think about/consider?

If I put the minwax clear polyurethane spray all over the inside, will that protect it from moisture and the salt eating at it?

What type of hinges should I look for (type of metal)?

My tank T's off from the wall rather than your typical tank layout. IE: Normally tanks look like this:

wall -----> || <---------Tank

Mine is sitting like this:

Wall ------> |-- <--------Tank

Here's what I have for my plan so far. I am going to use some small 1x3 or something to lay out the structure of the tank so the top will sit neatly on all sides.

I am going to place boards across the center for support and also for my lights to sit/lay on.

Then I am going to skin this frame with some plywood, and stain.

Now I plan on doing this in a way that I will have a light timer switch on the roof of the hood, all wiring will go to that switch and a single extension cord will run down the lenght of the ceiling of the canopy to the narrow side of the tank then down to the wall outlet.

one design consideration I am thinking about on this is something that looks nice aesthetically so that if I ever change my mind about the tank layout I will be able to easily butt the tank up against the wall and not have holes on every side of the tank.

Does anyone have any pictures, examples, or tips for me to consider while building this?

Back
Top Bottom