Desperate: spacer/holder for 50 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudraker

Aquarium Advice Addict
Long story short: I need ideas/materials for a spacer/holder (I don't know what you call it) for the top of an old 50 gallon tank. I need to add something so ithat it can support two versatops.

This thing is so old I haven't been able to find an orginal/replacement and I do not have the time or funds to build a proper canopy.

It is exactly 12 inches across. Width, I'd rather not go more then 12 inches, no less than 2.

I live in a very remote area and local shopping sources have yeilded nothing appropriate, mostly because this also has to look good. The closest hardware store outside my area is 120 miles away and has less stuff than available locally.

I've been looking for something to convert for months and have come up empy because of the "has to look decent" clause :)

I placed a classified here on AA to buy or trade something with no results. Maybe my fellow diy-ers can come up with a solution.

Are you looking for a diy brace? So you have 2 24" tops right? Try a ruler if its 12 in wide

Modern 50s and 55s have a glass panel centered at the top that spans the the back and front to support lids. On some the spacer (like I said, I dont' know what you call it) is part of the plastic rim around the top and serves the same function.

This is a very old tank - the glass is almost half an inch thick - and doesn't need it to keep the aquarium from bowing like newer ones with very thin glass.

A side glass panel (pane, whatever you want to call it) from a 12 "width aquarium like a twenty might work. Scratched would be okay, but edges of glass must be smooth.

Are you looking for a diy brace? So you have 2 24" tops right? Try a ruler if its 12 in wide

It is exactly 12 inches. I've been working on solving this problem for awhile now.

mudraker said:
Modern 50s and 55s have a glass panel centered at the top that spans the the back and front to support lids. On some the spacer (like I said, I dont' know what you call it) is part of the plastic rim around the top and serves the same function.

This is a very old tank - the glass is almost half an inch thick - and doesn't need it to keep the aquarium from bowing like newer ones with very thin glass.

A side glass panel (pane, whatever you want to call it) from a 12 "width aquarium like a twenty might work. Scratched would be okay, but edges of glass must be smooth.

Oohh I see now! yea I never knew what that was called either, I just always called it "that top glass thingy" ok let me brainstorm for a few minutes and I can get back to you

I'll post dimensions (OD and ID) tomorrow after I get off work. And a photo.

http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=43

If any of these fit your tank, this website sells trim with cross braces pretty cheap

Or as a thought you could get a piece of plexiglass and use it that way.
Do you have a glass shop near you? I've had to replace my cross brace in my 75 and I just went to my local glass cutter (well not too local 45 minutes away) and had a piece of glass cut pretty cheap

If any of these fit your tank, this website sells trim with cross braces pretty cheap

Shipping to Alaska is too expensive. Negates the "must be cheap" part-if it would actually fit.

Or as a thought you could get a piece of plexiglass and use it that way.
Do you have a glass shop near you? I've had to replace my cross brace in my 75 and I just went to my local glass cutter (well not too local 45 minutes away) and had a piece of glass cut pretty cheap

Nothing that will hold up sold here. I use so much plexiglass I have my own cutter.

I DIY tons of stuff (not just aquariums either) but this is proving ridiculously challenging. I also simply cannot afford to put too much more money into this. I'll tell the tale of woe about it later :)

First, I need to give a HUGE thank you to Butterfly for saving my bacon. It is better late than never!
She traded me some Java Moss and had a perfect piece of glass cut to spec for this long, overly drawn out and expensive project.
Thanks again!
You can stop reading here unless you want to hear how I got in this predicament.
This whole thing started out innocent enough.
My mister and I run an informal fish rescue operation out of our house in Valdez, Alaska. It’s usually word of mouth, or a lot of people know we keep fish because of the show tank in the lobby of my office. The animal shelter also calls us to do our thing whenever someone calls with a fish issue.
You’d be utterly amazed at the aquatics people manage to get here and not take care of, and we’re over 300 miles from the nearest LFS and they are horrible! Anyway…
Last winter, a guy here with 11 tanks in a little mobile home had a stroke and later left town. You could tell he took pretty good care of things before his affliction, but the fish hadn’t had much attention in a few months. I told him I’d help him try to sell his stuff and would take whatever he couldn’t sell. We sold about half the tanks and fish. Meanwhile, one of the few other people I know that actually takes actually takes good care of their fish wanted one of the 50 gallon tanks full of juvenile Kribs but couldn’t get it right away and asked if I’d get it for him. So, I paid the guy $100 bucks on behalf of my friend with the intent he’d move it in a few days. Long story short, after I paid, friend tells me he can’t take it, he’s moving to Scotland and I don’t get my $100 back from anyone.
So, we lug this monster back to my house, with about 20 Kribs from young adults to about ½ inch fry, plus several other smaller tanks with mostly guppies, some mbuna, and a few community fish.
The superintendent of our school district was in need of a larger tank for his office for some fancy goldfish I’d given him which (against my advice) he’d overstocked with more from Anchorage. The two I gave him plus three more totally outgrowing teeny 30 gallon I gave him for the two.
It’s in a public type office and has to look good. So, I’m cleaning out this tank and manage to pulverize what was left of a very ancient one piece cover. That’ll be easy but pricey to replace I think. WRONG. Not even pricey can buy a new one for this oldie but goodie.
Very old tank with odd dimensions. I waste several weeks trying to find one online, hitting up friends, etc. to no avail.
I buy two piece versa-top thinking I can simply add a spacer (divider, brace, whatever) I think. WRONG AGAIN.
Nobody cuts glass here, a few times people said they’d have one cut in Anchorage or whatever, more precious time wasted when they don’t follow through, etc.
I grind various plastic “things” I find to shape, but they look horrible. I even went so far as to spend a hour after work prying a 12 inch wide jalousie window pane out of a trailer that collapsed last winter. It fit but was very long and would really limit access to the tank and was very, very thin. Also, sides were sharp and would need to be silicone or something, it just wasn’t working.
So, I posted here and had the tank ready within two weeks.
Thanks again Butterfly!

Your very welcome, I'm glad I could help :) and I'm glad it worked out for you. And thanks so much for the plants, I was not expecting the trade until you offered, but I love them and am greatful for the amount that you sent!

For the Future if something like that comes up look into Tapplastics.com. They have acrylic and pvc in multi colors and thicknesses and they only have a $10.00 min to order..look them up on youtube

abstract373 said:
For the Future if something like that comes up look into Tapplastics.com. They have acrylic and pvc in multi colors and thicknesses and they only have a $10.00 min to order..look them up on youtube

Yea but what's the shipping going to cost to ship to Alaska?
I had a piece cut for around 4 and shipped for 12 . Also included epoxy for sealing it. Allot cheaper than ordering online IMO :)

Back
Top Bottom