Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-17-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Desperate: spacer/holder for 50 gal.

Long story short: I need ideas/materials for a spacer/holder (I don't know what you call it) for the top of an old 50 gallon tank. I need to add something so ithat it can support two versatops.

This thing is so old I haven't been able to find an orginal/replacement and I do not have the time or funds to build a proper canopy.

It is exactly 12 inches across. Width, I'd rather not go more then 12 inches, no less than 2.

I live in a very remote area and local shopping sources have yeilded nothing appropriate, mostly because this also has to look good. The closest hardware store outside my area is 120 miles away and has less stuff than available locally.

I've been looking for something to convert for months and have come up empy because of the "has to look decent" clause

I placed a classified here on AA to buy or trade something with no results. Maybe my fellow diy-ers can come up with a solution.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe explain to me what a spacer is and maybe we can come up with something to help you

Old 06-19-2012, 01:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Are you looking for a diy brace? So you have 2 24" tops right? Try a ruler if its 12 in wide
Old 06-19-2012, 04:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Modern 50s and 55s have a glass panel centered at the top that spans the the back and front to support lids. On some the spacer (like I said, I dont' know what you call it) is part of the plastic rim around the top and serves the same function.

This is a very old tank - the glass is almost half an inch thick - and doesn't need it to keep the aquarium from bowing like newer ones with very thin glass.

A side glass panel (pane, whatever you want to call it) from a 12 "width aquarium like a twenty might work. Scratched would be okay, but edges of glass must be smooth.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Are you looking for a diy brace? So you have 2 24" tops right? Try a ruler if its 12 in wide
It is exactly 12 inches. I've been working on solving this problem for awhile now.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:29 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudraker
Modern 50s and 55s have a glass panel centered at the top that spans the the back and front to support lids. On some the spacer (like I said, I dont' know what you call it) is part of the plastic rim around the top and serves the same function.

This is a very old tank - the glass is almost half an inch thick - and doesn't need it to keep the aquarium from bowing like newer ones with very thin glass.

A side glass panel (pane, whatever you want to call it) from a 12 "width aquarium like a twenty might work. Scratched would be okay, but edges of glass must be smooth.
Oohh I see now! yea I never knew what that was called either, I just always called it "that top glass thingy" ok let me brainstorm for a few minutes and I can get back to you
Old 06-19-2012, 04:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have tons of stuff I'd be willing to trade for a good solution. A short list is posted on this thread in the AA classifieds.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...on-211858.html
Old 06-19-2012, 05:03 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you talking about a cross brace? The one that runs through the center, front to back?
Old 06-19-2012, 05:09 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Are you taking about a cross brace? The one that runs through the center, front to back?
Yes, thank George for the actual name.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:15 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudraker

Yes, thank George for the actual name.
what are the dimensions of your tank, I think I may be on to something

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com