Diary of setting up a 75 Tanganyikan tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 40g Tanganyikan tank. I have an empty 75 and I decided to up-grade using the 75. Here I am going to document my project. It should take a while.

Questions and suggestions are welcome to this post.

I presently have 3 pairs of Lamprologus caudopunctatus with many fry and juvi's, 4 pairs Juli Ornatus, again with lot's of fry and Juvi's, 8 Zebra Danios and many fry and one old CAE. I am going to add 14 - 16 wild Cyprichromis leptosoma, small not Jumbo.

To start, I took my 75 gallon tank, all cleaned up and I siliconed a Styrofoam background & base (or bottom) using GE 1 silicone.

e8e12f98.jpg

e8e12f1c.jpg

Next I took some styrafoam pieces I had and made a cave wall using "Great Stuff" to glue it together.

e8e12e45.jpg

This is the back showing caves.

e8e12dc2.jpg

And on the background, not yet glued

e8e12b3f.jpg

e8e12ad4.jpg

The left side has three small cave entrances on the bottom

e8e129f1.jpg

The right side has three small individual caves
e8e1298c.jpg

This is were I am today. Next I will be taking styrafoam balls and glueing them onto the background to give the appearance of a rock wall.

Your off to a great start Michael.........I'm lookin forward to your progress. :)

I made a few minor changes. I was concerned about the caves at the end. I thought it would look bad when you look into the tank from the ends. I made the bottom into an off center island with the caves on that. I also shortened the hight of the styrofoam.

Here's a few pics

e8d2b2f6.jpg

e8d2b2b1.jpg

e8d2b265.jpg

e8d2b232.jpg

e8d2b207.jpg

e8d2b1d9.jpg

Tomorrow I will add some more "Great stuff" to fill in and begin with the cement. I am going to add a charcoal color to the cement, I hope I like the color.

Did some more work on the project. I added more "Great Stuff" the the caves and did some torching. I put the first coat of cement of and as you can see I added a charcoal coloring to the cement. The gravel will be Eco-Complete cichlid sand, which is a black & white sand so I think the coloring will look good.

I forgot to bring my camera to work today so I took these pics with my cell phone.

The caves with lot's of Great Stuff on it
e8b9fdc2.jpg

e8b9fda8.jpg

e8b9fd95.jpg

Torched
e8b9fd69.jpg

e8b9fd2c.jpg

e8b9fcf1.jpg

Fresh wet cement, it looks much better in person, I think
e8b9fcda.jpg

e8b9fcbb.jpg

e8b9fca7.jpg

e8b9fc95.jpg

Up-date

I finished the styrofoam and torched it

e898c336.jpg

e898c2fa.jpg

e898c2bb.jpg

e898c28e.jpg

e898c240.jpg

Here I have my first complete coat of cement on. I'll try yo do a second coat tomorrow - Cement was still wet
e898c14b.jpg

e898c10c.jpg

e898c0be.jpg

Close up of left side
e898c062.jpg

Center
e898bffc.jpg

Left side
e898bf7e.jpg

Looking down - right side
e898bf2b.jpg

Looking down - left side
e898beeb.jpg

So that were I am so far, any comments or suggestions.

After I put on the final coat I'll wait 48 hours then add water. I'll do huge water changes every three days until the pH comes down to normal, then it's cured. It should take less than two weeks but this is my first time doing this so we will see.

Thanks for the replies.

Finally, YES! The cement has cured and the tank is ready to go. I have some work to do on the stand but I hope to have it running by the end of the weekend.

Here are pics with water in the tank. I like it, hopefully the fish will to.

e83b77fc.jpg

e83b77ca.jpg

e83b778b.jpg

e83b7731.jpg

e83b7645.jpg

e83b7602.jpg

Hope you like

Back
Top Bottom