Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2004, 10:00 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to perrymedik Send a message via AIM to perrymedik Send a message via MSN to perrymedik Send a message via Yahoo to perrymedik
I put an e-mail into the company. Others have said that they used the GOOP "Plumer" in different tanks with no ill effects.

Under the questions section on the site it mentions aquariums specifically and says that they do not recomend using GOOP anywhere animals come in contact with it. I asked the to specify their reasons. If they are worried about it getting eaten then I think I will be ok as I have not heard of the fish dining on the seams.

I will make sure to post when I get their reply, IF I get a reply at all.

Old 01-04-2004, 10:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

sounds like a plan to me. =] good luck!

125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 10:28 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrymedik
The only ingredients that it mentions are Toluene and Petroleum distillate. .

Anything that contains that word I wouldn't let in the same room with my fish tanks. 8O

Just break down and use aquarium grade silicon for christ sakes. Why even risk it or take the chance? I mean, you wouldn't feed your dog out of a plastic bowl that was sold as " Should be safe for animal life, Risk of chemical leeching not common " or something like that, right?

So why put it in your fishes home, if you wouldn't even let your dog eat out of it?
Old 01-05-2004, 10:19 PM   #14

Send a message via ICQ to perrymedik Send a message via AIM to perrymedik Send a message via MSN to perrymedik Send a message via Yahoo to perrymedik
The following is the e-mail correspondence with the Goop product tech. Hope this helps!!!!

------------------------------------------

Hello, I was wondering if you could give me more details as to why Marine GOOP should not be used with aquariums. I have a leak in the corner of my tank and put the goop in there to seal it. Then questioned myself if that was wise.

I would appreciate all the info you could send my way.

Thank you,

Cory Perry

--------------------------------------------------
Cory,

The Goop contains Toluene, which is harmful to your scaly friends. If it is a very small amount and the volume of the tank is large, you may be ok. It probably would not hurt to flush the tank over the next few days if you have already put water in it. If it is still dry, allow at least 72hrs for the Toluene to evaporate. The longer the better.

Day Farrald

Tech Services

Eclectic Products

-------------------------------------------------------
So after the Toulene evaporates then the tank should be fine? I can let it sit for a few weeks, no rush. But if you think it would be best to tear it all out and use regular silicon please let me know. It is a 30 gallon tank and I used it to seal a bottom corner about 4-6" in all 3 directions. Most of it will be covered by gravel in the bottom leaving only 2-3" exposed. Thank you for you time and you assistance in this matter!!

Cory Perry

-------------------------------------

Cory,

In theory, it should be fine. The only problem is we can not be absolutely certain that no solvents are still present. It should be ok.

Day Farrald

Tech Services

Eclectic Products
Old 01-05-2004, 10:30 PM   #15

By the way, I tested the tanks tonight. The one with a crack in the corner is holding up just fine. I am going to let it sit full of water all night and tomorrow as well and see if any leaking occures.

The other tank that is leaking from the seal is still leaking!
So this weekend I am going to Lowes and getting the DAP 100% Silicon and redoing all of the seams! I mean every single one of them!

So my next question is this. What would be the best way to do this. Obviously I would take out the calk and then clean the surfaces with aciton. But should I take out the all the calk at once or just do a seam at a time? I know that there is silicon between the peices of glass, but is that enough to hold them all to gether while I apply new inner seams? In my mind if I took it all out and resealed it at all one time that would make the seam a continous peace that would be a very good seal, I am just affraid that the glass will fall apart.

Looking forward to the suggestions!!!

Thanks again!
Old 01-05-2004, 10:35 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd do it one at a time, just because in the event it were to come apart, I'd HATE having to put it back together. If you've got plenty of time, take it slow. But make sure you scrape all the old silicone out of the inside, as it does not like to stick to itself.

As far as the goop is concerned, considering the delicacy of marine life and its ecosystem, I wouldn't use it. I'd remove it, and use the 100% silicone.

As a note, when you use the acetone, after you've re-siliconed (or siliconed the one you previously GOOPed), I'd give it a good rinsing out after all the silicone has cured. I know that acetone evaporates like crazy (and I've used it in chem classes to clean droppers for HCl), but I'm paranoid, and when it comes to my fish, the safer the better. Just give it a good rinse. Keep us posted. =]
125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
Old 01-06-2004, 09:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansemacabre
I'd do it one at a time, just because in the event it were to come apart, I'd HATE having to put it back together. If you've got plenty of time, take it slow. But make sure you scrape all the old silicone out of the inside, as it does not like to stick to itself.=]
So I'm a bit confused. You say to do one seam at a a time, the turn around and say to make sure I scrape out all of the old silicon since it does not like to stick to itself.

So when my seams join together from the different sides, does that mean that there will be a bad seal since the silicon won't stick to itself? Or will it still be ok since it is still a fresh seal?

Sorry to keep incesantly asking questions which I am sure the answer is very simple, I just want to make sure that I do everything correct.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2004, 09:34 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

You don't have to scrape it all out at once, you just have to scrape it all out. Don't worry about the silicone actually in between the glass panels. Just go one seam at a time, scrape the old stuff off that seam on the tank's interior, and resilicone that seam. wait for it to cure a few days, then proceed to the next seam, doing this until it's done. Make sense now? No harm in asking questions, the real harm is in going in blind. Hope this helps, if I'm still not clear, ask me to clarify again.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com