Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2004, 12:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to perrymedik Send a message via AIM to perrymedik Send a message via MSN to perrymedik Send a message via Yahoo to perrymedik
Did I just make a big mistake?

Hi all,

I was just given two tanks today that leak. One is a 30g and has a leak in the coner and the other is a 29g and has a crack about 4-5 inches long running that runs this way (/|) in the corner.

On the 30g I took out the calk in the 3 angle of the corner about 4 inches each way with a straight razor. Rubbed it down, scrapped again untill I could see or remove nothing else. Then I cleaned throughly with Warm Soapy water. Then I let it air dry. I then used a product called Marine Contact Adhesive and Selant made by a company called GOOP, to re-bead all the edges.

On the 29g I used the same prduct with crack and applied a bead on both sides of the crack after cleaning and letting dry.

I am beginning to wonder if I might have done the wrong thing. Does anyone know anything about this product? It advertises itself as Clear/waterproof/paintable/flexible and stronger then glue. It comes out like silicon and is stringy and dries like silicon.

Should I let it dry and then test the tanks? or should I tear it out tomorrow and try to find the correct silicon? (btw Lowes here doesn't carry the GE Window and Door Silicon I but it does carry the Silicon II)

Any advice would be great! Thanks!!!!!

Old 01-04-2004, 12:50 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

The soap probably wasn't a good idea...soap + fish = bad. Make sure it's REALLY rinsed out, and that there's no residue from the soap. If you go to your LFS, you can probably find aquarium silicone. If you buy silicone elsewhere, it'll need to be _at least_ 99.9% pure silicone. You don't want anything in there. The aquarium silicone I got is from petsmart, made by an aquarium company, and it is 100% silicone. I don't know anything about the GOOP stuff, so I'll let someone more knowledgable comment on that. Just, in the future, clean it with something that leaves no residue. HTH!

125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 02:15 AM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to perrymedik Send a message via AIM to perrymedik Send a message via MSN to perrymedik Send a message via Yahoo to perrymedik
thanks for the advise!

Anyone else have a few words of wisdome for me!!!???
Old 01-04-2004, 03:55 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Hi and welcome!

I second the "no soap" advice! Rinse the tank very well! Never use household cleaners or soaps around or in the tanks or equipment. Here's an aquarium cleaner that I use to clean tanks when empty (like a QT tank) or the outside of the tank, or the hood glass: http://www.aquariumpharm.com/aqaqua.html Click on "safe and easy aquarium cleaner".

Here's another recent topic about silicone: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=14575

You can get the aquarium cleaner at your lfs (I got mine at Petco), and I also saw a tube of All-Glass Aquarium brand silicone at another lfs, Pet Supplies Plus.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:58 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Smonkey15 Send a message via MSN to Smonkey15
just a word of advice, i went to petsmart and paid $6.00 for a tube of aquarium silicone, then went to home depot immediatly after and found the exact same tube, same brand, made for aquariums, everything for like $2.50. i didn't check to see if they had the bigger ones for a caulk gun but i would recommend checking home depot first, or maybe lowes would have it.

Figuring out how to keep my fish healthy is like the pethagorean theorem; there is no solution.
Smonkey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 09:43 AM   #6

so would you recomend that I restrip the corners and start again or just go over it with a good silicon?
Old 01-04-2004, 03:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

First off, we need to find out if the GOOP is harmful. I'll go research it for you, if I find anything I'll let you know. If the GOOP is not the good stuff, you need to scrape it all out. The silicone tends to not stick to stuff like that, and besides, if it is bad, you don't want it anywhere near your aquarium water! So, I'll go look for info on the GOOP you were talknig about before we do anything...if anyone out there already knows, help us out and post it. =] I'll be back!
125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
Old 01-04-2004, 03:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, I can't find a lot of info on the GOOP you're talking about. Best I could do was a cruddy photo from the HD website. So, does it list the active ingredients? It looks very similar to the PC-11 I was recommended by someone on these forums. Your goop says it's clear, waterproof, uv resistant, etc, etc. I would think that, being waterproof (especially saltwater proof) it would not leach chemicals into your tank. If you can get us a list of ingredients, or tell what any of the descriptions say, that may help. I'm no chemicals expert, but we've got a few that are pretty familiar. I don't know that it's harmful, so just post some info and maybe someone will know.

My PC-11 is a two-part epoxy though. If your GOOP says it's an epoxy, it may be ok to use.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:34 PM   #9

The only ingredients that it mentions are Toluene and Petroleum distillate. No other info exept for warngings of vapors so apply in well ventelated area.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not really sure...but when in doubt, I would scrape it all off and use the safe stuff. See if anyone else knows first, but if you come up with nothing, scrape all that stuff off and and go with the PC-11 (which is a HUGE pain, btw. It's very pastey and difficult to get where it belongs) or find some weld-on. There's another thread in the DIY forum about a refugium... [edit] http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=15194 [/edit]... go to that thread, and reffnewb recommends the proper weld-on products.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com