Diffusing CO2 into Eclipse aquarium/filter system.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noncentric

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, I've read that DIY CO2 can be injected into the intake of power filters.

Using the 2-liter bottle CO2 reactor set-up...I'm not sure exactly how to do this with an Eclipse power filter sytem (Eclipse 2 for 25 gallon). Where should I put the end of the tube with the CO2 output? Should I put the tube next to the intake grill so that the CO2 is sucked up into the magnetic impeller and across the filter media? If the tube should be placed in the filter media, then where...I'd need to rig something to get the hood to close if this is the case, since all the filter media are in the hood.

Any help would be great. I'm a total noob and just hope that my new plants don't wither away (I won't be getting fish until this weekend).

Thanks!!

noncentric said:
Hi all, I've read that DIY CO2 can be injected into the intake of power filters.

Should I put the tube next to the intake grill so that the CO2 is sucked up into the magnetic impeller and across the filter media?
Yes! I'm not too familiar with eclipse, if you can squeze the end of the tube between the lines in the grill without totaly closing it off, that would be best. The impeller will help break the bubbles up in to smaller bubbles for faster diffusion.

noncentric, i do believe the biowheel at the end of the line on the filter setup will do you more harm than good getting co2 into your tank. Biowheels expose the water to air, giving c02 the slip it needs to escape off into the atmosphere. If you want to give the co2 a fighting chance to stick around id suggest injecting the c02 into a upturned cup somewhere in your aquarium. The wheel will still fight ya along the way but at least it goes through the aquarium before it gets to the wheel.

Back
Top Bottom