Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2014, 11:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

DIT canister filter for 250 gal

The canister filter I got with the tank crapped out and I'm tired of having it and 2 HOB running so I'm building and oversized canister that can give me at least 5x gph. Using an external pump and 4inch pvc. I think it will be great but I do have a question as to pumps and which brands are recommended. Going to do all the fittings except for the pump tomorrow and will post picks. But any thoughts on pumps would be appreciated

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 04-14-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi. Not sure if it is totally relevant to your build, but I've had great luck with harbor freight pumps. They have every size from table top fountains to ponds. They are cheap, easily replaceable and have regular pipe threads/fittings. I use the second from the smallest, sorry I dont remember the size or lift, but it was $14.99 and works great. For second to cheapest, it has a perfect flow for my needs (my app is about a 4 foot lift). I use it with a camo bucket from the depot for Primed water, I always have 5 gallons Primed, ready to go. The pump sits in the bucket, made my own hose and 'faucet' assembly.
Luckily I have a HF one town over. Worth your time to look it up.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:13 AM   #3

Thanks. I actually bought a syncra 5. I needed 1300+ gph. Found it on thewatergardener.com for $50 chapter than every other site. When I get done I'll post some pictures.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:16 AM   #4

Also curious about how people feel about chemical filtration. I've all but eliminated it from my system (carbon can leach ammonia back into the water). Do I need to use it at all or should I just get something different (heard of purigen but never used it)

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com