Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

depending what your keeping in or out. home depo sells grated light covers with 1/4 inch holes. i use them in my 55galls to seperate pairs of angels and works great .cut to fit snug

Old 04-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Try this..
http://usafishbox.forumotion.com/t31...a-tank-divider
mumma.of.two suggested this to me a few days ago and it works great for my bettas! Just be sure to get a color that matches your tank or it's annoying! I put a white divider (all that was at the store) in a tank with black substrate and going to change it out asap

Old 04-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats
Cody, if I could find a way to use the suction cups to attach the plastic mesh without leaving gaps at the sides, that might be an option. I have seen cloth mesh dividers to temporarily divide tanks but I want something longer lasting. I have seen the plexi glass dividers but they don't seem to have enough holes to let water flow freely. That's why I was trying the plastic canvas option. Are the dividers you mention different than these?
Rutrag, I hadn't thought about super glue. Do you know if super glue is aquarium safe? What do you mean when you say it might be "too strong" for the report covers?
Yea I'm sorry I didn't consider what size your fish were and if they would fit in the gaps on the sides. The dividers I saw were used in a 50 gallon that housed larger Severums and flower horns.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks everybody for your help.
I'm going to do as Momma.of.two suggested and add spines to the top and bottom, and secure the corners of the dividers. I think I'll use superglue there (not too keen on silicone after all the scraping I just did), I'll just be very careful not to make a mess, maybe brush it on with a cheap dollar store paintbrush I have hanging around.
On another site, someone had then put a single strip of black tape down the front of their tank after this kind of divider was in place and I'm going to do that. It hides the glue and spine and blends with the plastic frame.
I'm also going to find a couple rocks and put one on each side of the canvas for extra support.
Cody, I still appreciate the suggestion, even if it doesn't work for me because I'm going to stock small species, it might work for someone else.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just remember dividers can fail. Fish can jump. Tank circulation is compromised. What works for one person may not work for another.

I'm not a fan of divided tanks if you couldn't tell, seen lots of failures.

GL with your tank. I hope it works for you.
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Coursair, I'm planning to keep African Dwarf frogs on one side of the divider and small community fish on the other. If the divider fails, or critters manage to jump from one side to the other it won't be a big deal. It's just that from what I heard it's easier to make sure the ADFs get enough food if they have their own side. It may take hand feeding if the divider fails, and I am willing to do that if necessary, but I want to try a divider first.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:08 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats
Coursair, I'm planning to keep African Dwarf frogs on one side of the divider and small community fish on the other. If the divider fails, or critters manage to jump from one side to the other it won't be a big deal. It's just that from what I heard it's easier to make sure the ADFs get enough food if they have their own side. It may take hand feeding if the divider fails, and I am willing to do that if necessary, but I want to try a divider first.
Ah I see. GL
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:27 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Many people recommend using the turkey baster method for feeding them, and I would always give them a little rock space they can be a little secluded from the rest of the nosy, piggy fish who want to eat their food, Good luck.

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com