Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Divided Tank Help Please

I am trying to divide my tank. I tried using GE tpye 1 silicone to glue plastic report cover spines to the glass, then I was going to use those to hold plastic canvas. Unfortunately, the silicone dind't hold the plastic spines, they came off. Is there something else I could use to hold the plastic spines in place, or another way to divide a tank but still let water through?
I am currently cleaning the silicone off the glass.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats
I am trying to divide my tank. I tried using GE tpye 1 silicone to glue plastic report cover spines to the glass, then I was going to use those to hold plastic canvas. Unfortunately, the silicone dind't hold the plastic spines, they came off. Is there something else I could use to hold the plastic spines in place, or another way to divide a tank but still let water through?
I am currently cleaning the silicone off the glass.
At my LFS they have grated tank divider that suction cup to the tank. Because it is grated it still allows water through. If you can't find it t your LFS maybe you can order it online.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can go to the craft store and see if they have any embroidery grids. Not sure what the real name is. It's the plastic grid that they use for some type of crewel work or something. Obviously, I'm not a sewing kind of girl.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

the original poster has the grid. The issue is attaching the spines to the glass. Silicone doesn't adhere well to most plastics. If glass strips were used, there would be no issue.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Would cyano acrylate (super glue) gel work or would it be too tough on the report cover strips?
Old 04-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cody, if I could find a way to use the suction cups to attach the plastic mesh without leaving gaps at the sides, that might be an option. I have seen cloth mesh dividers to temporarily divide tanks but I want something longer lasting. I have seen the plexi glass dividers but they don't seem to have enough holes to let water flow freely. That's why I was trying the plastic canvas option. Are the dividers you mention different than these?
Rutrag, I hadn't thought about super glue. Do you know if super glue is aquarium safe? What do you mean when you say it might be "too strong" for the report covers?
Old 04-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Super glue is aquarium safe. We use it all the time to glue corals to frag plugs for reef aquariums. I had my doubts when I first used it, but I have a couple of times myself in my 75 with no ill effects. Use the smallest amount possible to get the job done as you'll actually have better results with it that way regardless. Once it's dry, it pretty much just turns to plastic anyway. Be careful not to glue your fingers to the project, cause that usually doesn't end wel.

I'm not sure that it wouldn't be too aggressive of a solvent for the relatively soft plastic that they use for report cover splines (if I understand what you're talking about, that is). It works by melting the plastic a little to turn it into a semi-liquid to allow it to bond. You might try using some on some scrap to see what happens. My gut tells me this would be the quickest and probably cheapest solution available.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Be careful not to glue your fingers to the project, cause that usually doesn't end wel.
I've actually glued an Anubius to my fingers that way lol. Anyway, mummaoftwo has some pretty neat dividers in one of her tanks, I'm going to pm her and see if she'll tell you how she did it in here.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

My next questions are: What kind/brand of super glue? ( The fact that any left overs can be used on plants is a bonus)
How long after using it before I can fill my tank? ( I really want to cycle my tank and start adding critters.)
If super glue works by melting the plastic a little, does it also melt the glass a little?
The report spines came in a package of six so I have some extras to experiment with, I only have one tank.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Super glue makes a mess of glass and is really hard to remove if you get it everywhere. It won't damage the glass itself though. I've used the exact same method but didn't use glue. It trick is to get the binders to fit as snugly as possible. Use a binder on both sides and one across the top to make it rigid. You can also put one across the bottom. I didn't because the substrate holds it in place. They do move if bumped with your arm or something but to stop that just put a small blob of silicone on either side of the top two corners of the divider. The silicone will stick to the glass and hold the divider in place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3851223051.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	90072

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4058675781.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	90071

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com