DIY $100 250k MH's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I noticed that this was written 4 years ago. Do you think the prices/part numbers/vendor are still the same?

Premium Aquatics still has the same MH bulb for the same price. Im sure you can get the ballast for a similar price as well, but I wouldnt recommend Graybar Electric unless your an electrician. Graybar is not a retailer, meaning they dont sell to the public. Grainger has the ballast recommended in the article, but its $95 now, through them. I dont recall ever seeing sheet aluminum at my local Home Depot, but maybe you can get that somewhere else. Seems to me the ballast is going to be your biggest expense. Thats the only thing you might be able to get cheaper some place else. Who knows. Noone ever said the hobby was cheap, right?

Hmm...before I'd spend $95 on a core/coil ballast, I'd come up with a little more and go electronic. JMHO.

I may give it a try and see what happens. I have some friends and family that can get me anything electrical I want at a low price.....I'll let you know! :wink:

I already had some extra 175 bulbs and sockets. I got a ton of wiring left over from building the house. I went ahead and ordered a 175 ballast online for 60$ shipped. Figure the 175 might like having 3 - 175's instead of 2. For 60 bucks, how can I lose? Ill let you know how it works out.

By the way, I am planning on using an old florescent hanging fixture (cut down to size) for the reflector. If all this works out Ill be adding a 175 MH for $60, not too shabby.

Correction. Just won the ebay auction for $31.50. Hee Hee. Didnt think it would come so cheap.

Got it all hooked up and powered up tonight. Looks like its gonna work GREAT!

Total costs - ballast $31.5
sheet of metal $4.95
mogul socket $16.95
total I paid $53.30

everything else including the bulb i already had, but figure another 80 bucks for the wire, bulb and plexiglass. So total if you were to do this from scratch would have been approximtly $140. Not bad for a 175 watt addition.

Quick question about these ballasts....

Hellolights carries an equivalent model (specs/price)

http://www.hellolights.com/25unmagm58ba.html

They also carry an equivalent ballast (electronic instead of magnetic) for $50 more.

The electronic ballasts supposedly put out less heat and are more efficient; but are they worth the extra 50 bucks?

I talked to this guy on the phone and he said that him and his friend have been running this DIY setup for 2 years now and that everything is great. I am going to drive to where he lives and buy some frags, and he is going to give me all the pulsating xenia I want for free!! :p

I will check it out when I am up there and report back.. :D

Back
Top Bottom