DIY 100 gal stand project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterp

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looks well built. Nice job!

Looking forward to pics of it finished. As i'm still deciding how to finish my DIY stand that is currently in progress

Ha, yes this is turning out to be the toughest part :p

I bought a sheet of wall paneling but it looks to be made of compressed paper 8O don't think it is a good idea around water, so back to HomeDepot it goes.

Looking for something else to use now.

I picked up a sheet of 1/4" oak veneer plywood ($20) that I plan on using for the overall surface coverage. But i'm still trying to decide on a style for the trim, doors and drawers etc.

Wow, your stand looks incredibly hefty. You could probably park a Mac Truck on it and it would hold. But, since it appears to be so overbuilt, do you plan on putting a sump in the bottom? I'm about to start designing a stand for a 60gal w/ a 30gal sump. I see what you did in order to tie it all together, but in my opinon, you may have overbuilt it, and there's nothing wrong with that, it just seems to be eating up your cabinet space. For both the top decking and the decking inside your cabinet, I'd use 3/4 plywood treated with water sealer. With your crossties as is, it'll make that beast solid (and weigh an absolute ton), but putting it in the cabinet may require some fancy cutting.

My dad has a personal business that does woodworking, and I"ve spent many an hour building cabinets with him. Of course they didn't have to support 1,000+lbs but better it be over enginnered than to wake up in an inch of water.

:D Probably, it weighs in at 80 pounds right now.
I ended up doubling up on the supports after I finished it, and saw that the entire tank weight was being supported by only a few #8 screws. I figure better safe than sorry (I am already in dog house for a few other things).

Yes I am putting 3/4 ply on top and on the shelf. Did not really plan on putting a sump in it but that is not a bad idea to try to squeeze one in :)

A loaded 100gal(actually it is 60l*18w*24h and works out to 112 gals I think) with gravel & rock might end up in the 1500+ range.

I hope you don't live on the second floor of an apt building. Or the second floor of anything, that puppy needs to be on a concrete slab! If you're just storing dry goods underneath then your stand is hella solid.

When I give the sketches to my pop so he can build me a stand, I'm thinking of making it 36 to 40" tall so I can have two drawers under the stand for dry goods and still leave 30" underneath for the sump etc....

Yup, actually where it is going is on concrete.

The stand is 29 inches high and with a 24 inch tall tank on it there will only be 20 inch space above it for the hood & access where we are putting it. A tight fit but should work out Ok

:mrgreen: :oops: Minor mess up in this project :oops: :mrgreen:

The tank I ended up buying is 26 inches high, guess what DIY hood will only partially open before hitting the low ceiling with the tank on this DIY stand.

DIY hood destined for re-design :lol:

But the stand is working out well and staying level, I got it leveled on the uneven floor by using 50 of the composite shims (quite a few doubled up) from home depot.
Still need to make some doors for it and add some trim to pretty it up.

Back
Top Bottom