DIY 125 stand questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was going to buy a 125 aquarium and stand off someone who was moving for $400. However, because the stand was glued to the floor his realtor said it couldn't be removed. So, he gave the the tank and a ton of supplies for free! I decided I would build a 6' stand for it but have a few basic starter questions.

1- plans I'm seeing say for the top and bottom frame, the long boards should be the length of the tank +1". So that would be 73" instead of 72". Why? Couldn't I just make it the exact length of the tank, or do you need a little extra length. I only ask because I can get an even number of 72's from a longer 2x4.

2- the tank is 18" deep. Could I make the stand 24" deep and that way if I upgrade down the road to a deeper tank I can use the same stand? Any reason not to?

3- last question because I a beginner at these, the plywood on the top is simple, just a basic rectangle. But the plywood inside the tank you have to cut out whee the 2x4's rise up to the tank......what's the best/easiest way to do it?

Thanks for the help!!!

I was going to buy a 125 aquarium and stand off someone who was moving for $400. However, because the stand was glued to the floor his realtor said it couldn't be removed. So, he gave the the tank and a ton of supplies for free! I decided I would build a 6' stand for it but have a few basic starter questions.

1- plans I'm seeing say for the top and bottom frame, the long boards should be the length of the tank +1". So that would be 73" instead of 72". Why? Couldn't I just make it the exact length of the tank, or do you need a little extra length. I only ask because I can get an even number of 72's from a longer 2x4.

Don't know why I didnt and have never heard of that.

2- the tank is 18" deep. Could I make the stand 24" deep and that way if I upgrade down the road to a deeper tank I can use the same stand? Any reason not to?

Sure you can just make sure that you put 2x4 together to make the legs thicker and so they will be under both 18" or 24" tank corners and one in the middle of tje front and back glass.

3- last question because I a beginner at these, the plywood on the top is simple, just a basic rectangle. But the plywood inside the tank you have to cut out whee the 2x4's rise up to the tank......what's the best/easiest way to do it?

I dont understand the question ???

Thanks for the help!!!

Look above for answers
If you need me to take pictures of my stand I will just let me know

Last edited:
Also, how tall is a good height. The 125 isn't too deep so I was thinking a 32" tall stand. Good?

The height doesn't really matter. It's all up to you I made mine so I don't have to bend over to see in but then I had to get a step ladder to service it. But I'm happy

alot of this what asking is just planning it out.draw it out on paper prehand your going custom might as well give yourself the bells and whistles as for 72 73 question you can always build up with the plywood to get the size you want i did it that way ...for mine i used 2x6 and4x4 just to make it extra solid since i have toddlers roaming about...its going to be basic rectangles and risers make sure you square it up and your good i used lots of glue and heavy duty decking screws since they are powder coated for rust protection....

Thanks for the help!!!

No Idea why somebody would make them an inch longer than the tank. You can make them exactly the length of the tank, but if you do and you put a layer of plywood or finish material on the outside, it will stick out further than your tank. That might be fine, if you plan on a finish board or something on top of it. Personally I like to raise the finish to the point were the plastic rim of the tank is hidden, but its a matter of personal preference. You can also make the length shorter by the distance of your two finish pieces and then the tank will fit perfectly on top of your stand. If your goal is to have a lip or shelf of some sort, I would go longer than an 1".

Yes and no. Yes you can make the stand 24" deep, but on a 6' stand your going to have to run a 2x4 at the correct distance between the two sides to support the back wall of the tank. I don't recommend letting that 6' span sit unsupported. You can toe-screw the temperary support in and remove it down the road when you upgrade.

Not really necessary to have plywood inside, but if you're going to, the easiest way to make the cutouts is to make as much of them as possible with a circular saw and then finish the cuts with either a jig saw or hand saw. that will keep them the straightest.

Wy Renegade said:
Yes and no. Yes you can make the stand 24" deep, but on a 6' stand your going to have to run a 2x4 at the correct distance between the two sides to support the back wall of the tank. I don't recommend letting that 6' span sit unsupported. You can toe-screw the temperary support in and remove it down the road when you upgrade

Yeah I'm planning on running 2 additional 2x4's to support the span, well 4, 2 in the front and 2 in the back.

Thanks for the input!

Back
Top Bottom