Today I went to Home Depot and picked up a tube of 100% silicone and siliconed all the seems on the inside of the hood.
After that I applied silicone to the bottom of each led
strip and laid them out as you can see in the pictures (I used some tape to hold them in place while the silicone dried), then to hold the wires on I used gobs of silicone.
All the strips are hooked up to a 2 amp, 12 volt power supply from an old network switch I don't use anymore. This is powering all 96 leds.
I am very happy with the result, it provides ample light to the aquarium at very low power use.
In the end it cost me
10 bucks in led
's (waterproof, amazon.com)
8 bucks in poly (home depot)
4 bucks in silicone (home depot)
some leftover wood, stain, paint and a little bit of time. Not bad, I say!
I still have to clean up the wiring, I have some nice sleeving in mind that I can "borrow" from work. Also at some point I hope to make a maybe 2 inch hole for feeding, once I get a hold of a holesaw.