Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-05-2004, 11:21 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Sulla
I have worried about that some but it will not be in direct contact with it unless it comes loose from the back. I think I will do the simple fix and just coat the inside of the boxes on the back with conrete. See anything else that could be a problem? Its easer to fix it now than later

Old 09-05-2004, 11:23 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Fog cure!

Sulla
Be sure to fog cure the cement! to do this you need to mist the cement several times a day, this will keep it from drying to fast and cracking, trust me don't miss this step in the curing of each layer.

Old 09-05-2004, 11:42 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the tip. I could not be home today to fog the first thin layer so I put it inside in the airconditioning to slow down the drying as much as possible. It seems to be doing ok so far. I think the part I am really going to have to watch is the face as its going to be much thicker so I will plan that one when I am going to be home all day to watch it. Oh and thanks again for all the help
Old 09-07-2004, 06:17 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Regular

Seems like things are moving right along now Today I go a chance to do the first layer of color on the background. I made up a small bucket of each conrete with each having a different conrete color and then used them basicly like paint to paint the background to look like rocks. I plan on doing another layer of color that will be basicly dry brushing the highlights on and painting in some darker blacks plus maybe some asorted spatters of colors. I also had lots of conrete left over so I made a selection of rocks that I can silicone to the bottom of the tank to make caves and other interesting features. You can also see I have not had time to sculpt the face but mabye in the morning. See images below...

Old 09-08-2004, 10:29 AM   #35
AA Team Emeritus

really nice work on shading the stones! Looking forward to seeing the face take shape!
Old 09-09-2004, 10:14 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well I finaly finished sculpting the face now all I have to do is let it dry and do the thin color layers.

I also finaly got around to setting up my tank to make sure it does not leak as its a used tank. I set it up yesterday in my storage building and so far no leaks Any one have any suggestions on how long to leave it up? Also I am thinking that some kind of pad between the stand the and aquarium wood be good, any thoughts on what to use?

Old 09-09-2004, 10:35 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Styrofoam!

Sulla, I used a piece of 1/2" styrofoam between my stand and the tank, worked out great. The way My stand is built you can't even see it..I also built a custom hood for mine too with the lights enclosed inside and a vent fan, this is also a fallback from the reef tank..You could do this and paint it to match the stand, would be an awsome look! Mine is finished in Flekstone, nice look..

Some pics of the light hood!

Old 09-09-2004, 10:54 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Regular

OK great I will pick up some 1/2 foam next time I am at HD. I think I can just pick up some flat profile chairrail molding and put around the tank to cover the foam.

I like the hood I think I will end up making one that is about the same over all design exept maybe I will make the entire top lift up and just rout the edges to make it blend into the molding.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:05 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mr Burns
sulla - absolutely gorgeous paint job! if i didn't know better, i'd never believe that was actually styrofoam.

brilliant work.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:02 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Regular

Glad you like it Mr Burns, after all the hard work I hope it looks a little like rocks haha

Today I painted the face and did some more work ont he rest of the background to give it more color and depth texture. I just need to do one more light job on the face and background to change some things and add another layer to the face etc and I will be all done with this part. Oh and coat the chanels in the back and install grates, then I am done with the background itself.

Tags
background, diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com