DIY 3D Angkor Wat Backdrop / Background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I finaly added water today:) Also I didnt like the 10,000k / deepblue bulks so I am switching to 67,000k lights to have a more natural look. I figure by early next week I will have the first fish in the aquarium if all goes well.

I just came across this thread and wish I had been following all along.

Sulla,

That is the most incredible tank I have ever seen.
GREAT job on the background and I cant wait to see it with what ever fish you decide on.
I also think it would be great for African Cichlids.

BillyZ - I think so from the other threads I have read. I have changed the water every day for about a week.

oscarbreeder - Glad you like it:)

Well things seem to be going well so I added the gravel, plants, filters and fish from the other tank. Now I just need to figure out what fish will be the permanent residents:)

This is an image of the tank on one of the days while I am changing water. Also you can see I have my bright light combo on it testing it out.
DIY_BG_41.jpg

This is an image with the plants, gravel, temp fish and filters added.
DIY_BG_42.jpg

Same as above but with different lighting to give a better view.
DIY_BG_43.jpg

Now do I pick the Electric Yellow Cichlids or the Silver Dollars hmm:)

Looking great. All the plumbing and internal equipment working out as planned?

Yes so far all the filtering and plumbing seem to be working ok. Its really nice to have it all hidden also:)

I think "nice" is a slight understatement! :D

Another question: What brands of cement and cement dye did you use? I'm impressed at the lack of bleeding from the dye. Was there much bleeding during your curing process?

Well just a little update. I decided to go with Electric Yellow Cichlids as they like the caves (they are having a blast). Over all the tank is doing well with the new fish.

Also I used spot-x an fda approved glass polish made from ground sea shells and it really got the building off the glass after nothing else would. But I didnt get it all out so I am still filting tiny particles that are slowly coming out from here and there with a new magnum 350 I purchased for cleaning the tank and waterposhing.

I still need to finish the hood, paint hte ends of the tank and add a trim piece to cover the bottom of the tank and the foam mat. When I get that done I will see about posting more pictures.

Also BillZ I used Quikwall and the quikwall made by quikrete and there colors and acrylic fortifier. I also added sand to make the mix. Hope that helps.

your tank is beautiful!!! truly impressive!

I have just finished a smaller version. A 10 gallon tank. :) just to try the process out. I think it turned out ok and it's nice to have on my computer desk. I will be putting in a few demonsoni s in a week or so.
let me know what you guys think. :D

being only a 10 gallon tank, i just have a small penguin biowheel hanging on the back, and a small power head hidden to move the water. the caves are all inter connected. my ph never got above 8 and i just used some ph balance chemical and have had no problem. the fish that are in there are just a yellow lab and an albino zebra. they were the smallest that were in my 35 gallon hex. i wanted to try this out because i want to try it in a 37 gallon tall for my jack dempsey. i don't have alot of space in the house right now, so i have to go with smaller size tanks, but hopefully i can have a fish room when we move and am looking forward to a 125 fresh and a 125 reef.

added the drift wood, just cut a small piece off of a larger piece i got cheap off of ebay. fish are doing just fine and have really taken to the caves and enjoy hanging out under the wood. think i'll wait about a week before i take these out and put in the permanent members. can't decide whether to get a pair of kribensis or a pair of p. demasoni, or maybe one of each...hmmm

Foam purchase

The background is fantastic. Thank you for sharing the project with us.

What was the type of foam, it's starting dimensions and where did you buy or aquire such a large piece? Was it a solid piece or laminated?

I want to get organized for my large tank background but I'm having a hard time finding solid pieces of foam in the dimensions I'll need.

Thanks again

i just finished a background in my 90 gallon hap tanks,ill post some pics when i get ahold of my friends camera

awesome, look forward to seeing the pics.

Just a note everyone: Please post the pics of your projects in a seperate thread so we don't hijack Sulla's thread devoted to his efforts. Thanks all! :D

soory...didn't meean to steeal thunder:)
this is actually about the third or fourth time i have ever posted on a message board. but will take care to be more civilized in my future attempts...just need to throw out props to sulla for the absolutely amazing tank..nice job man.

What do you think of using small PVC pipe inset into the back of the styrofoam for the plumbing/heating? This would ensure that the heater didn't touch any styro and gives you interesting options for routing the outflow.

Well just a quick update. All is going well and the tank is working great. If I did have to change anything I would make the first coats of cement the same color as the top coats so if you ever get flakes nocked off or damage its the same color underneath. I would also make the first layers thicker to help with durability from fish that like to pick at the rocks. Besides that all works fine. Just one word of warning dont make caves where fish can go and you cant get to them when you drain the tank:)

Back
Top Bottom