DIY 3D Angkor Wat Backdrop / Background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thought I would post another update. Till now I have not lost any fish. I have switched from Yellow Labs to Silver Dollars thoe. At the moment I am trying out the planted look with nonaquarium specific silk plants. (See image). You can read more about that
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=57299

PlasticPlants01Small.jpg

it still looks fantastic! Thanks for the update. I don't see any fishies though... they all hiding?

they have a super thick forest to frolic in, i know i would prefer being in there. i am surprised the face isn't more covered in algae though some of the bricks on the right hand side look to have some covering but the face is pretty darn clean. whats your secret sulla ?

tank still blows me away though, fanstatic work.

Well I run rather a low amount of light per day, lots of filtration and not to many fish.

And yes the stupid fish are hiding. They hide most of the time. I am tempted to trade them for some fish that are more friendly.

Wow that looks amazing, I got to thinking about that and salt water, maybe a Atlantis type thing. I'm not sure how it would work out but It got me to thinking.

Honestly I think it's way to busy and takes way to much away from all the work you've done on the background.

What you had before was nice.. I would say if you could say take the diffrince between the two you would really make things look nicer.

You did all that work on the back ground that is truely amazing. I never even though of trying something like that till I saw this. I want to give it a try my self once I get my 75G to replace my current 50G. And I think while, yes it's a background. You put to much work into to just cover it up with plants.

IMO.

Regradless. VERY NICE

Super sweet. This is the first time I've checked out this thread, and I'm extremely impressed.

You just raised the bar by a LOT... darn, now I have to do something amazing to get props! :)

yes, yes.. the plan was to make everyone else's DIY attempts to look like tinker toys.. :biglol: :biglol:

Sulla...I was wondering about your PH though.. what is it? how much effect does the background have on you PH and KH?

Sulla,this is the best DIY background i've ever seen, plz tell me what thickness was the styrofoam block, coz it looks thicker than all available in stores, also i would like to ask about the paint u used, was it the normal acrylic colors ? is it non toxic ?? last question, ''carving'' , u seem to be an artist, iam not, so how can i carve using a heated knife ? is it ok to use the knife ? or i need to buy a ''foam carving kit'' ???!!! waiting for your reply ...and thanks in advance

Will try to get a chance to answer when I get back from vaction. Sorry its taking so long.

I keep coming back to look at this great background. :]

One question tho....can these principles be applied in making an aquarium BOTTOM? How bouyant is the foam after a "normal" amount of cement has been applied?

Alan

is there a way to make it on the outside to leave the room inside for fish?

kaz said:
is there a way to make it on the outside to leave the room inside for fish?

You could put it behind the glass, but you would really lose so much of te detail and depth of the carving. Really, it's only eating up 3 or 4 inches of the back of the tank and it is containing finter and pumps and heaters etc so you're only losing a little bit of the tank if you consider the rest is left wide open because you don't need much more "decoration" in the tank.

Depending on the design you want to go for, you could even reduce it to even be 1-2 inches thick if you wanted to.

I'm new to this forum and am very interested to see the pictures of Angkor Wat backdrop mentioned in the posting. I don't see them; do I need to do something to view them?

Back
Top Bottom