DIY 3d Background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhino

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So for my 55 I am going to make a DIY background. I am using plans that I found on another website for this DIY. This is the background that I am going to attempt to replicate: DIY Aquarium Background - Rock Ledges - Page 1

Do the materials use seem safe? I know on their website everyone their says that you have to let the background soak for like 30 days to leech out the extra calcium. Seems like a lot of work, however, I have never seen a background that looks that good. Do you all think the supplies used would be safe for an aquarium? Here is the supplies list: Dramatic AquaScapes - How to Build Your Own Custom Aquarium Background

Thanks in advance for your help everyone.

That looks awesome. I might need to try something like this. My only worry is it seems to take up A LOT of swim space for the fish. Wont that lower the amount of fish you'll be able to stock in the tank volume?

Yeah that is what I thought as well. But the unconventionalism of this background is extremely appealing to me.

Yeah that is what I thought as well. But the unconventionalism of this background is extremely appealing to me.

I agree, it looks great.
Keep us updated if you decide to take on the project!

On a side note, what kind of fish are you planning for the tank when it is finished?

hey there, good call on diy 3d background. recently completed my own and am so glad i did it. there are a few good threads on diy backgrounds on here. check out 90 gallon build/rebuild. i used a product called sikatop for my background that is food safe and doesnt leach into your water. its expensive but worth it when you consider all the water changes you will need to do with a concrete background. my recommendation is to throw plans out the window and wing it. as long as you make it the right size for your tank thats all that matters. they can take up alot of swimming space but if you plan it out it isnt that bad. just make sure it fits your tank and for ease of installation cut it into a few peices. if you want any help at all fire me a PM. good luck

Back
Top Bottom