DIY 3D Mayan Background With Pyramid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thebouncingparty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Been working on this project on and off for about 2 months now. The centerpiece of the background is the mayan calendar and in front of it is a pyramid i built with two entrances and will have a nocturnal blue led bubbler inside. The calender is made of stone and the rest out of styrofoam. Ive recently painted the sides of the aquarium black and im planning on using tahitian black moon sand as a substrate. This will really make my cichlids colors pop. Its a 75 gallon tank. For filtration ill be using two aquaclear 110 HOB filters.

Attachments

• 1345015826258.jpg
    1345015826258.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 879
  • 1345838340606.jpg
    1345838340606.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 337
  • 5E65Fa5H13Ic3L23Jcc6i795b0ce522bd174a.jpg
    5E65Fa5H13Ic3L23Jcc6i795b0ce522bd174a.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 1,363
  • 5L65K25Hb3Fe3Hb3l8c6i03882ae122221e01.jpg
    5L65K25Hb3Fe3Hb3l8c6i03882ae122221e01.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,191
Wow it looks awesome. Search up Sand fountains. I think it'd make a great addition on the sides.

Thats amazing! Great work, thats going to look sick with the black sand and the your right, those cichlids are going to pop.

When i painted the sides black i noticed that some of the interior scrathes the tank had are now more visible. Anyway of hiding it? I was told once i fill it with water thell be lass notable. I wasnt happy at all with the scrathes standing out more with a black background. Any suggestions?

That is stunning! I love the idea, and the styrofoam/rock work! I think you will be much happier when it is filled with water, the scratches won't be so noticeable. They obviously are not going to disappear completely.

Any suggestions on whether i should use rocks or driftwood on the sides? Its gonna be a cichlid tank so i need more hiding places for them. Is driftwood the equivalent of rocks as far as hiding places for them. Im leaning more with putting 2 nice peices of driftwood on each side of the pyramid instead of the rocks. Any suggestions?

thebouncingparty said:
Any suggestions on whether i should use rocks or driftwood on the sides? Its gonna be a cichlid tank so i need more hiding places for them. Is driftwood the equivalent of rocks as far as hiding places for them. Im leaning more with putting 2 nice peices of driftwood on each side of the pyramid instead of the rocks. Any suggestions?

Rocks. Rocks would be where it's at for that tank for sure!

That is seriously awesome! How did you do the calendar is it a bought piece or did you make it somehow too?

I think I'd stick with rock work and personally would try and encourage some nice algae growth on the decor. When you look at pictures of Mayan architecture mostly so lush and green. I know cichlids knock out a lot of plant options but I think some algae would be really awesome.

If you feel like going some work work I think another structure would be rockin, something with a style like this to add a bit of height and give some hiding.

Tulum Mexico- Mayan architecture | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I seriously think this is so cool. I wish I had the ability to do something like this.

The calendar is made of stone. Got it on ebay. Everything else was made of styrofoam. This is my first try on a 3D background. Time consuming but particularly easy to do. I learned alot having to recreate it twice. The first time i used a silicone not compatible with fish so i had to do it all over again. Took me 2 weeks to recreate and 1 month the first time. Lol

@ Tamtam wow that mayan structure looks sick and maybe what it is im looking for to create hiding places for my fish. Might create that instead of buying rocks. Does anyone think this is a better idea than using rocks if i recreate this and add it to the sides of the pyramid?

Attachments

• 237597233_33850b7b5b.jpg
    237597233_33850b7b5b.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 156
A mayan ball court would tie into the theme well since it has a direct relationship to the calendar.
ballcourt.jpg

The calendar is made of stone. Got it on ebay. Everything else was made of styrofoam. This is my first try on a 3D background. Time consuming but particularly easy to do. I learned alot having to recreate it twice. The first time i used a silicone not compatible with fish so i had to do it all over again. Took me 2 weeks to recreate and 1 month the first time. Lol

oh ouch. That's a kick in the pants. Pretty awesome that you could redo it so fast though.

It's really awesome looking. Love the idea. It's different but still has a natural look to it. The calendar is a pretty sweet score

Stunning work! What did you use for the background? Can understand how Tulum inspired you I was there on my Honeymoon a few years, what a place - the beach wasn't bad beside it either! I hope you went to Xel-Ha when you where in the area.

@ Tamtam wow that mayan structure looks sick and maybe what it is im looking for to create hiding places for my fish. Might create that instead of buying rocks. Does anyone think this is a better idea than using rocks if i recreate this and add it to the sides of the pyramid?
I seriously just think this is so cool. Wish I was talented enough to do something like this. lol

I've also seen these really neat columns that may interest you. They wouldn't really offer any shelter though.

Back
Top Bottom