Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

DIY 3D Mayan Background With Pyramid

Been working on this project on and off for about 2 months now. The centerpiece of the background is the mayan calendar and in front of it is a pyramid i built with two entrances and will have a nocturnal blue led bubbler inside. The calender is made of stone and the rest out of styrofoam. Ive recently painted the sides of the aquarium black and im planning on using tahitian black moon sand as a substrate. This will really make my cichlids colors pop. Its a 75 gallon tank. For filtration ill be using two aquaclear 110 HOB filters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1345015826258.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	114568   Click image for larger version

Name:	1345838340606.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	114569  

Attached Images

Old 08-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow it looks awesome. Search up Sand fountains. I think it'd make a great addition on the sides.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thats amazing! Great work, thats going to look sick with the black sand and the your right, those cichlids are going to pop.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #4

When i painted the sides black i noticed that some of the interior scrathes the tank had are now more visible. Anyway of hiding it? I was told once i fill it with water thell be lass notable. I wasnt happy at all with the scrathes standing out more with a black background. Any suggestions?
Old 08-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

That is a fantastic job. Just wonderful.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is stunning! I love the idea, and the styrofoam/rock work! I think you will be much happier when it is filled with water, the scratches won't be so noticeable. They obviously are not going to disappear completely.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #7

Any suggestions on whether i should use rocks or driftwood on the sides? Its gonna be a cichlid tank so i need more hiding places for them. Is driftwood the equivalent of rocks as far as hiding places for them. Im leaning more with putting 2 nice peices of driftwood on each side of the pyramid instead of the rocks. Any suggestions?
Old 08-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebouncingparty
Any suggestions on whether i should use rocks or driftwood on the sides? Its gonna be a cichlid tank so i need more hiding places for them. Is driftwood the equivalent of rocks as far as hiding places for them. Im leaning more with putting 2 nice peices of driftwood on each side of the pyramid instead of the rocks. Any suggestions?
Rocks. Rocks would be where it's at for that tank for sure!
Old 08-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to tamtam
That is seriously awesome! How did you do the calendar is it a bought piece or did you make it somehow too?

I think I'd stick with rock work and personally would try and encourage some nice algae growth on the decor. When you look at pictures of Mayan architecture mostly so lush and green. I know cichlids knock out a lot of plant options but I think some algae would be really awesome.

If you feel like going some work work I think another structure would be rockin, something with a style like this to add a bit of height and give some hiding.

Tulum Mexico- Mayan architecture | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I seriously think this is so cool. I wish I had the ability to do something like this.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:15 PM   #10

The calendar is made of stone. Got it on ebay. Everything else was made of styrofoam. This is my first try on a 3D background. Time consuming but particularly easy to do. I learned alot having to recreate it twice. The first time i used a silicone not compatible with fish so i had to do it all over again. Took me 2 weeks to recreate and 1 month the first time. Lol

Tags
background, diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com