Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ive made some progress. I have two baffles yet to put in after a second water test. Here is the order of how I put the baffles in.

Attachment 108076

Friday evening, I put in the lower baffle that separates the drain chamber from the fuge. I let that cure for 24 hours.

Attachment 108077

Saturday afternoon, I performed a water test of that chamber. I decided to wait on the upper baffle of this set until after the water test, so that if I had a leak, it would be easier to get to with the caulk gun.

Attachment 108078

Drained all the water out and dried things off really well. Set up the upper baffle for caulk. I used cut pieces of wood to maintain 1" gap between baffles and 9.75" wood on the chamber side. I used CD cases to maintain 1" under the baffle. Finally, a clamp to keep the glass against the wood braces. In hindsight, this was overly elaborate. Caulking this baffle proved to be a big messy disaster. My contraption with the hose failed. The gun could not provide enough pressure to push the caulk all the way down the hose because the hose stretched. Eventually, I had so much pressure in the caulk tube that the caulk busted out the back of the tube all over the piston of the gun. I thought if I used more rigid tubing that might solve my problem, so I took a trip to menards. Using rigid tubing was better. It got the job done, but still had the same problems. I wasted a lot of caulk out the back of the gun.

Attachment 108096

Final picture for now is of the left upper baffle caulk in as well as the first right baffle. I used a different method on the right baffle that proved to be way easier than cutting wood braces. I just used painters tape on one side of the baffle. Two pieces on each side and 3 on the bottom as well as one piece on each side where the top of the baffle meets the side wall. I caulked the other side, checked for alignment, and let that set for an hour. Then I took the tape off and caulked the other side. Worked like a charm and saved all the extra measuring and cutting. I would recommend this method.

Currently waiting on a full cure before I water test the center chamber. Once that passes, I will get the remaining 2 baffles into place.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Update: things have taken a little longer than expected because of things I failed to think about. I am upping the volume of my system by over 20 gal and I didn't think to mix water till yesterday. Also had to build a stand for the skimmer out of egg crate, and I wanted to water test my pump to make sure my plumbing wasn't leaking. I think that I am ready to get this thing wet tonight. Below are some pixs from Sunday through today.

Attachment 108862

Water test of center chamber

Attachment 108863

To install the upper baffle on the right side, I decided to lay a bead of silicone before putting the baffle up

Attachment 108864

so that I could then just put the baffle in place, tape it to hold and then use my little tool to push the silicone into the joint. An hour later I pulled off the tape and siliconed the other side. The next day I did the same thing with the final baffle. I performed a water test on the final chamber the next day. No leaks anywhere! Woohoo!

Attachment 108865

Old 07-26-2012, 12:33 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Got everything up and running. It was a lot tighter once I got it under the tank. Everything is working well so far. Now I just need to get the fuge going.

How much lr should I get for an 11.6 gal fuge?

Will post pictures of the sump running later. Too tired.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:35 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioteacher
Got everything up and running. It was a lot tighter once I got it under the tank. Everything is working well so far. Now I just need to get the fuge going.

How much lr should I get for an 11.6 gal fuge?

Will post pictures of the sump running later. Too tired.
As much as you can fit while leaving room for macro algae
Old 07-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Finally got everything finished. I just bought 10 lbs of LR, a nugget of Chaeto, and 40 lbs of argonite sand. The only thing not in I the sand. I want to siphon out some sand from the display tank and put that old sand in the fuge. Then put new sand in the DT. The reason is that my sand in the DT is very course and not very aesthetically pleasing. Also, it is too course for sifters and I want to get a goby really badly. .
Old 07-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

So, I have an issue now. Ever since hooking up the sump, my corals have looked terrible. My zoas and ricordia are all closed up. Kenya tree is all drooped over. Montipora polyps seem closed and color is faded.

I suspect one of three things. Let me know your thoughts and recommendation on what to do.

1) could it be the silicone, PVC cement, or superglue that I used on the sump? I used GE silicone I per recommendations on forums. The PVC cement was just whatever they had at home depot.

2) I removed maybe 5lbs of sand from the DT. Most was via siphon, but I got 3 scoops out with a net and it stirred up a lot of crud. I don't clean my sand. Maybe this is the source of something bad.

3) the new pump has upped the flow a little bit. It is not drastic. I don't think this is it, but I could be wrong. This pump is 1800gph and the old pump was about 1200.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you tested the water cause stirring up the sand can release a lot of stuff back into the system. That's what id put my money on
Old 07-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
Have you tested the water cause stirring up the sand can release a lot of stuff back into the system. That's what id put my money on
You were right. I tested (can't believe that I didn't think to, bad habits, my parameters were stable for so long that I just stopped testing) and ammonia is at about 1.5, trites 0, trates 10. I mixed up some water. I will test again in the morning and if the numbers aren't down, I will change the water.

So any suggestions on getting more sand out of the display tank without facing this situation again?
Old 07-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Remove it when you do water changes and just suck it out with the siphon so it and any debris goes with it. If you wanna reuse just rinse it out afterwards

Tags
40 gallon, diy, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com