Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

DIY 4ft tank stand

I recently bought a 4ft tank without a stand so I've decided to make my own. Now some of you may say this is over kill but I figure its better to be safe than sorry so I'm making it from 4x4s (keeping in mind I may decide to add to it for a bigger tank) ill post pictures as I go. If I remember lol.

My question is I want to put a piece of flat wood underneath the tank but I was told if it has any imperfections it could bust the bottom piece of glass. Is there something I can put between the wood and glass to stop this? Any advice appreciated

Old 08-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Another question, if its 2ft (front to back) and my tank is the same BUT it is stood on carpet will there be a chance of it toppling over?

Should I get a piece of flat wood bigger than the tank/stand and screw it to the bottom for it to sit on to stop it swaying away from the wall? (I can't fix it to the wall)

Old 08-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

make it slightly larger than the tank and you should be good, as for the bottom of the tank if you have a frame around it like most do you should be good with a flat piece of wood under it...easy way to see what you need is to go look at stands at the local fish store and see how they are built
Old 08-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonknight View Post
make it slightly larger than the tank and you should be good, as for the bottom of the tank if you have a frame around it like most do you should be good with a flat piece of wood under it...easy way to see what you need is to go look at stands at the local fish store and see how they are built
I had all intentions of making it slightly larger but the wood that was cut wasn't the same as what I asked for but didnt notice until I got home (I just assumed a DIY shop wouldn't **** up what I asked for) so my plan was to get a flat board slightly larger than the tank by around 1/5 of an inch all the way around to let me add a trim to the base of the glass to hide gravel and give a slightly wider base for the tank to sit on and then as an after thought I got worried about the stability of it being too top heavy with the possibility of an uneven floor
Old 08-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nice I upgraded to a 75 g a few months ago and also built the stand. I went with a 2 x 4 frame so I would have as much room as possible underneath for the sump/ components and all the other stuff... As for the top of the stand I used plywood and then put a piece of foam board for the tank to sit on. They sell it in 4x8 sheets in the building materials section at hd. I went with 1/2 ".

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1124491710.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	192301

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2784899524.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	192302

With the weight of the stand and tank I highly doubt you will have it tip over on carpet. I think mine full now with rocks and everything is over 1000 lbs.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichm20 View Post
Nice I upgraded to a 75 g a few months ago and also built the stand. I went with a 2 x 4 frame so I would have as much room as possible underneath for the sump/ components and all the other stuff... As for the top of the stand I used plywood and then put a piece of foam board for the tank to sit on. They sell it in 4x8 sheets in the building materials section at hd. I went with 1/2 ".

With the weight of the stand and tank I highly doubt you will have it tip over on carpet. I think mine full now with rocks and everything is over 1000 lbs.
Ah see mines an internal filter so I haven't got to worry about space underneath other than for the extension lead for the plugs ill be keeping underneath and maybe the food too. Ill check out if the DIY store over here in the UK has the same kind of thing, looks pretty standard stuff so I would have thought so. The thing that worries me is if its slightly leaning due to the floors not being level and trying to wedge it but it not working
Old 08-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I built mine out of 2x4s. Made a top and bottom frame then added three supports to each corner and two in the back for good measure. Holding 125 gallon fine. I youtubed fish tank stand and used they guys plan just with my own dimensions
Old 08-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCommunityCichlid View Post
I built mine out of 2x4s. Made a top and bottom frame then added three supports to each corner and two in the back for good measure. Holding 125 gallon fine. I youtubed fish tank stand and used they guys plan just with my own dimensions
I should have gone with a simple design but I decided to make it more complicated than it needed to be and now its more work than I have signed on for and considering scrapping it all and trying to find a cheap one to buy :-(
Old 08-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I went simple, cause you can always add doors and paneling if you want.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCommunityCichlid View Post
I went simple, cause you can always add doors and paneling if you want.
The doors and panelling isn't the problem it's the fact I decided to add joints to make it more stable but so far its done nothing but cause
Problems lol

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com