Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #11
Sliced Bread

I made just a regular rectangle for my 72bow. Gave me much more room in the stand for equipment.

In the DC Metro Area? Check out GWAPA and WAMAS
neilanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
I found a design that I like I'll probley build it http://www.canadianaquariumconnectio...ad.php?p=93926

Red44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
thats a very pritty stand i dont think you will care if the cabint is square if it looks that good lol i cheated and used a kitchen cupboard, reincorced it, and put a top and base like the stand your looking at building, but it was only for a 20gal long
75gal 2 bala sharks,1glass catfish,3clown loaches 1of each,blue gourami,sun catfish,banjo catfish,giant asian upside down catfish,hillstream loach-10gal 6glowfish/blacklite
strokinbyeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
Lol, ya I thought so, it's better than buying those expensive stands at the fs
Red44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via MSN to Pizentios
Are you wanting bowed doors on the front?

Here's a video of a guy that makes a bent chair leg out of plywood. For doors it would likely be a simular process but with more clamps etc.

YouTube - Bent plywood in 7 easy steps.

I know of guys that bend sheets of plywood by soaking it in water for a long time and slowly bending it to shape using a form and a bunch of clamps as well.

Of course i wouldn't trust the bent sections of the plywood to hold any significant amount of weight after soaking and bending etc.

Interestingly enough, my brother in-law just finished builting us a fireplace out of concrete that has some very smooth curves etc and that is entirely hollow and very light (only took two of us to lift the bottom and top sections into the house), yet it's still rated for 4000 psi of weight. Would be interesting to see if he could built a stand with a simular method.

Edit: Just thought of an idea to make the doors. Use the method in the video and then use a biscuit joiner to join the sections together to make a full sized door for the cabnet. See Biscuit joiner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more info on what a biscuit joiner if you don't know what one is.

Pizentios is offline   Reply With Quote

2 gallon, 72 gallon, 72 gallon bowfront, bowfront, diy, stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com