diy 72 gallon bowfront stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Red44

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello I'm going to try to build a 72 gallon bowfront stand in the next week or so and was wondering if you guys would know were any good plans are?

No problem. Hope it helped you out enough. If not, let me know and I'll try to help you out. =)

Thxs it helped with the top but I'm trying to make the whole stand bow like the ones in the store

You want a smooth curve? That's kind of hard to do AFAIK. You could try finding some wood that's flexible, and putting some 2x4's (or whatever you use for braces) to hold it in place. Sort of hard to explain. Otherwise, you could use a few panels and put them at angles, but it wouldn't make a smooth curve.

Ya I guess I could try the square bottam with a curve top it just won't look as good but thxs for your help

You can always get a curve, it's just more work and its harder. It's up to you. I guess I didn't explain it well either. You can always bend wood, but I wouldn't know any good ways to do it. Try googling something like 'diy bowfront aquarium stand' and you might get some results.

Thxs for help, I'll try to find something on google

No problem. Just wish I could help out a little more =/ Good luck finding something that works out for you!

thats a very pritty stand i dont think you will care if the cabint is square if it looks that good lol i cheated and used a kitchen cupboard, reincorced it, and put a top and base like the stand your looking at building, but it was only for a 20gal long

Lol, ya I thought so, it's better than buying those expensive stands at the fs

Are you wanting bowed doors on the front?

Here's a video of a guy that makes a bent chair leg out of plywood. For doors it would likely be a simular process but with more clamps etc.

YouTube - Bent plywood in 7 easy steps.

I know of guys that bend sheets of plywood by soaking it in water for a long time and slowly bending it to shape using a form and a bunch of clamps as well.

Of course i wouldn't trust the bent sections of the plywood to hold any significant amount of weight after soaking and bending etc.

Interestingly enough, my brother in-law just finished builting us a fireplace out of concrete that has some very smooth curves etc and that is entirely hollow and very light (only took two of us to lift the bottom and top sections into the house), yet it's still rated for 4000 psi of weight. Would be interesting to see if he could built a stand with a simular method.

Edit: Just thought of an idea to make the doors. Use the method in the video and then use a biscuit joiner to join the sections together to make a full sized door for the cabnet. See Biscuit joiner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more info on what a biscuit joiner if you don't know what one is.

Back
Top Bottom