Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-08-2004, 11:45 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for the compliment, Imperatorfan. The concrete will replace what I had originally planned to be marble. From what I have read, the concrete needs to cure for 2-3 weeks before you put any load on it. I might be moving out of state soon, so this project is on hold for a while. In case anyone was wondering, I did fill the tank and test the stand before I brought it inside.

Old 06-07-2004, 12:06 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Regular

Rats, I'm late! All the images don't work nor does the .pdf. Can you repost them?

Old 06-12-2004, 02:08 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mr Burns
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmalls
Rats, I'm late! All the images don't work nor does the .pdf. Can you repost them? :D
ditto!
Old 07-12-2004, 08:15 PM   #34

I'm sorry for the temporarily broken links. I'm just settling into my new home after being relocated. The pics are hosted on a server that normally resides in my basement, so once I get the network running in the new house, the pics will be back up.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:34 PM   #35

Well, I tried my hand at a concrete top and it just wasn't what I had hoped for. Three bottles of concrete coloring and it still wasn't black enough. I also should have added some extra portland cement to the mix to make it a bit stronger. So now I have a 150# slab of grey concrete to dispose of.

It gets better though. We stopped by a local Marble & Granite supplier today and were pleasantly surprised. We found a beautiful black piece in their remnants section. It will be cut to size, polished, and corners rounded for less than Silestone or Corian would have cost. I should have some new pics by monday night.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:30 PM   #36

Old 10-12-2004, 11:06 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

Excellent work! I wish I had your talent. Are you going to make a hood for it as well?
Old 10-13-2004, 11:38 AM   #38
AA Team Emeritus

I can't believe I missed these updates. Awesome deal on the slab! I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever get around to finishing my stand.

Final product looks great!
Old 10-17-2004, 05:43 PM   #39

Thanks for the comments. I do want to follow-up with a hood for this stand. I don't have the time to tackle another big project right now. Possibly after the holidays, but certainly not before. I probably won't do custom lighting, since I don't have aspirations of a planted tank. We're just shooting for basics and ease of use.

We've got several pieces of African driftwood in the tank, from Drs Foster & Smith. Its still blackening the water in short order. It has been soaked for several days in a bathtub, and now 2 weeks in the aquarium. I'm completely draining the tank each sunday and refilling. Every weekend, its back to the same old blackwater tea.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:04 AM   #40
AA Team Emeritus

Ick! what a pain!

Do you have an easy way to drain and fill the tank? I certainly hope so. If not you might want to toss in a $5 on a rubber maid tub that you can keep in the garage or basement so you can fill and drain a little easier maybe.

The only thing that kinda worries me, is your substrate. Do you think any of this gunk from the wood might be settling in your substrate and cause you problems later on?

Tags
build, building, diy, log, oak, stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com