Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2004, 07:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

DIY 75 Gal Oak Stand - Building Log

Hi folks, I'm going to build a solid oak aquarium stand for my new 75 gal aquarium. This is the start of my building log, where I will share pictures of my progress with you. Feel free to ask any questions or offer any feedback you might have. I expect that this project will take me 2 months to complete. Tonight I'm starting to cut the wood, so no pictures yet. Instead, I've included a link to the plans I drew up.

http://sawdust.servebeer.com/aquariu...tand_plans.pdf

Old 03-09-2004, 08:27 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
A Granite top? How heavy is that top going to be? Is that gonna cost a load of $ aswell? After all most of the top is going to be covered and you will never see it.

IMO you could save alot of money by just framing the stand so the tank sits on top and you maybe have a lip that goes around the tank so it looks like the tank sits inside the stand by a few inches. There is no real need to support the very middle of the underside of the tank. Just along all four sides.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 09:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool drawings. What program did you use?

This is a glass tank I assume? If so, I second FF advise about not having to worry about supporting the middle as long as all sides are taken care of well.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

hey take a look at mine this is what i built for my 120gal. only cost $150 bucks.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:12 PM   #5

fishfreek: Thanks for your thoughts. The top is probably going to be Corian or Silestone rather than real granite. It will still weigh in a little over 100lbs. Thats nothing compared to the weight of the stand or the aquarium. You will be able to see the edge and about a 1" wide band around the top.

I understand that glass aquariums don't need support in the middle. I am planning for the future, when I may decide to get rid of the aquarium. If I do, I'll still be left with a quality piece of furniture with a nice top. Saving money was not a primary concern here, although this will be much cheaper than buying a comparable quality piece of furniture.

Biggen: Those drawings were done in DeltaCad. It is a low-cost, basic CAD program. The more I use it, the more I like it.
http://www.dcad.com/
I know I don't need the top. My wife and I just like the way it will look.

Ohio reefer: Thanks for showing your stand. It looks very nice and I bet it was built very well. When I was in college, I built two stands using oak veneer plywood for the back and sides. That is another cost-saving option for the more dollar-conscious Aquarist.

This will be my 6th large woodworking project. I like to keep challenging myself, so I chose this more complex design. Woodworking is a hobby I also enjoy, so this is a labor of love.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
What kind of wood are you using? I'd go with mahogany and wenge

Jim
Old 03-10-2004, 09:15 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
duh...i should have read the title, "75 gal OAK stand"...... well, good luck

If you have any woodworking questions, feel free to ask.

Jim
Old 03-11-2004, 11:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaksplat
What kind of wood are you using? I'd go with mahogany and wenge

Jim
Wenge? Thats some very pretty wood, but it can cost over $40 per bf. It is also supposed to be easy to bend. A veneer would be easier on the wallet, but I don't like veneer in wet environments. Thanks for the suggestion. It might be nice on something smaller.

Mahogany would also be beautiful. However, it too is relatively easy to bend. That is definitely not a good thing in an aquarium stand.

I chose Oak because of its structural properties, because I like the way it looks, and because it matches our other furniture. By using Oak I can get away with not using 2x4 framing ala GARF.

Here's the first pic. Its just a pile of wood right now
Old 03-19-2004, 10:50 AM   #9

It's starting to look less like a pile of wood now. Here are the 2 end panels. They are just dry-fitted here as a test. I still need to do some sanding before I glue them up.

Old 03-19-2004, 12:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

looking good

Tags
build, building, diy, log, oak, stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com